Thread: Help with iWork

Default Help with iWork

Hi all, I know this is an OSX area but I'm just so peeved about this and there are few clues out there.

I bought a copy of iWork and (foolishly) installed it on my partners computer before mine as mine was "under repair/upgrade" at the time. My partners copy works fine.

OK, when I tried to install on my machine it wouldn't open a file or do anything so I read the "legals" and it was behaving as expected. So, being a law abiding citizen I purchased another copy and installed after removing the first version and what "Application Support" files I could find. No joy. Nothing opens, iWork Don't Work.

If anyone could help here it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Bernard
    The Meek Won't Want It!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

all iWork files you already removed once... remove again. Then in the Preferences folder (one in your user>Library>preferences and one in the main hard drive Library>Preferences) look for any iWork related files Probably look like this, com.apple.iWork.plist and remove those

I think that should do it but there is also a receipts file somewhere that Software Update uses to know what software you have so it can look for updates. This might also have to be purged of iWork but I don't know how to do that or even where it's located
    Damien,

Which of your computers are you trying to install iWork? Is this iWork 09? There are 2 updates to O9 as I recall. You tried updating? You have repaired permissions? What MacOS are you running? If nothing else works, try deleting with AppZapper.

I have iWork 09 with updates installed and so far, knock on wood, have not had any problems with it on my G5 with Tiger 10.4.11. k

Hi Kaye,
    Trying to install 08 on a G4/933 running 10.5.7. Just finished trying out AppZapper but no joy. AppZapper only seemed to find the application and 1 other file. I go through the whole system (Sys/Lib, AppSupp, Prefs,Reciepts, Users/Lib, AppSupp, prefs/ reciepts etc) even found a Users/Prefs/By Host/ilifeMediaBrowser. Howerver upon re-install, Repair Permissions, restart and launch, I only get the basic menu bar but it won't open files or even present the templates.

It's really frustrating. I'd love to get rid of my old M$Office and take advantage of more integration with iWork. There must be something (file) I'm missing when I clean it out for a reinstall.

There must be someone else out there who has had this problem!

The Meek Won't Want It!

Do you have QuickTime 7.2 or later? k

Yes, QT 7.6
    The Meek Won't Want It!

............and what happens when you double click on a file, or try to navigate to a file an open it manually? Any errors?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

From Pages or Numbers if I select 'File' a nav screen pops up for about a second then disappears. Opening a file directly will open the file but it is mostly greyed out and information cannot be seen and file cannot be edited.
    The Meek Won't Want It!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

What happens if you create a new user and try from there? Maybe your user account is hosed
    Damien,

Hi Damien,
    Tried with a new Admin user account with the same result. First launch I get the video tutorial screen but nothing is selectable, then the same behavior.
    The Meek Won't Want It!

Maybe some help, found this on MacFixIt:

Thursday, January 31 2008 @ 02:30 PM PST
    Problems installing iWork '08 updates; fix

[Thursday, January 31st]

Several users have reported an issue in which the recent iWork '08 updates (including Keynote 4.0.2, Pages 3.0.2, Numbers 1.0.2) fail to properly apply, with the installer indicating that the appropriate application(s) cannot be found.

As we've noted a number of times, application updaters often exhibit issues if their targets are located outside of the /Applications folder. In the case of iWork '08 applications, it appears that Pages, Keynote and Numbers must be located inside the folder "iWork '08" within /Applications. Additionally, the folder must be exactly named "iWork '08."

As reported by one reader:

"I had this problem initially, then I renamed my folder to 'iWork '08' and the updater found it."

In some cases, you may need to recreate the iWork '08 folder -- in other words, move Numbers, Keynote and Pages out of the iWork '08 folder, delete that folder, then create a new folder with the same name ("iWork '08") in /Applications -- and re-attempt installation.

Let us know and don't use quotation marks around the folder name. k