Thread: MacBookPro won't wake from sleep

Default MacBookPro won't wake from sleep

I would think there would be plenty of posts about this but I can't find one?

MacBookPro 2.2 OS 10.5.6 or 7? (latest)

I've been having problems for a while now if I leave my MacBookPro asleep to long, it won't wake. Now the usual hard reboot doesn't even work. 1 in 10 times it will chime and everything (sound, keyboard lights etc) seem to work but nothing comes on the screen.. just black. Help please!

Also check and see if there are any firmware updates for your model......they sometimes address known sleep issues. Could also be a hardware/video issue.

If you have an external monitor handy, you might try testing with it when the MBP is black but the machines appears to be booted, to see if it might be a problem with the LCD.

If you get external video, you have a panel issue. If you don't at least you know it in not the panel.......could be the video, or software, if not the SMC. To rule out software, you need to consider an OS reinstall.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the replies but I had already tested everything I could, especially considering I had no internal or external video. Luckily I live about 10 minutes from an Apple store so I made an apt with the "Genius" Bar. The first visit left me a little discouraged when they told me the MLB needed to be replaced although the price of $320 seemed reasonable it still seemed wrong considering my situation.

I made another apt today and it's being repaired under the extended warranty that Apple has provided for many of the MacBook Pro's with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors. FREE!

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

Very cool..

Great news!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Sleep Issues

Glad to hear Apple is going to take car of you. :-)

One other thing to check in addition to the SMC reset is the AutoWake.plist file. It is at HD > Library > Preferences > SystemConfiguration > com.apple.AutoWake.plist. There are reports of this file being missing. It is what wakes the Mac for various activities and is also the file which is used by various apps to wake the Mac when that app is scheduled to wake for some event. (There may be a separate wake file for that particular app, for example, EyeTV uses a "Wakein" file which is located at HD > Library > Application Support > EyeTV > Wakein.)

If the AutoWake file is missing or you simply want to clear out the old one (move to trash), you will need to create one by going to the Energy Saver in System Preferences and manually creating a sleep/wake event and then canceling it. You should then be able to see the AutoWake file in the finder.

Cheers!

Rick