Thread: Keyboard stops to respond in Finder until restart!

Question Keyboard stops to respond in Finder until restart!

Hi there,
    My girlfriend has a MacPro (early 2008) and everything is ok except her keyboard.
    It stops to respond in Finder randomly. It can work for one or 2 weeks without any problems, but it can stop to respond twice a day as well.

She can still use a keyboard in her applications such as Photoshop, Quark, Mail, but she can't rename/create folders and files with the keyboard in Finder.

Her keyboard has been changed, so the problem is not hardware!

All updates are done!

Mac OS X 10.5.6
    Mac Keyboard

Does anybody know how to fix it?

Have you looked at System Prefs > Universal Access > Keyboard, particularly Sticky Keys and Slow Keys settings? if enabled, I would disable them. See what happens then. k

I will take a look and I will let you know!

EDIT: all options are off

Under Sticky Keys Off, Press the Shift key five times to turn Sticky Keys on or off should be unchecked. k

it is unchecked as well!!

I have the feeling that it could be the firmware keyboard update she did few months ago. Is it possible to downgrade to the old one?

I don't know if that can be done. Just to be clear, it is an Apple Mac keyboard? k

yes it is! the one which comes with the MacPro

Anybody else got any ideas? k

I don't think you can undo a firmware update.........unless Apple issues an undo - which is usually a redo - which is rare.

I doubt a SMC reset would help, but won't hurt anything.

Check for any other firmware updates on the support page. Feel free to download and run any that might be right for your model; they will validate and not run if they are not for your machine or have already been run.

It could be a software/OS issue. A reinstall, or an Archive and Install might be worth a shot to rule out software issues.

What happens when you plug in a USB keyboard?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

excuse me for the long delay to respond.
    When the bug appeared, I plugged a USB keyboard and I also tried a Bluetooth keyboard with no luck! I can use the keyboard anywhere except in Finder..

I did try the SMC reset, nothing changed!
    Reinstall is my ultimate solution, I'm digging around before doing a reinstall.

Thank you for the support page (BTW it's a MacPro, not a MacBookPro).

Before doing all the labor of a complete reinstall, Download and run the Combo Updater. The Combo Updaters will overwrite the same revision, such as the 10.5.6 Combo can be run over the top of 10.5.6 OS> This replaces almost all the system files. Worth a try and far short of a full reinstall.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Right. Combo first.

...........and if that doesn't resolve it, from your media you can always try an
    Archive and Install, which will drive a new OS under your existing users, apps, and settings. It drops your old system in a "Previous System" folder, instead of over writings it. Pretty painless, though takes longer than a clean install. Works pretty well as of 10.5. Rarely see a problem with Archives and Installs.

Sorry for the wrong link.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin