Thread: Help: Trouble with my USB network adapter

Default Help: Trouble with my USB network adapter

Hi I posted this in the network section but after reading the site some more it seems to me that i should have posted it here. Sorry for the double post:

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me out here with a small issue.

On my Mac Mini G4 i have hooked up a USB wireless G Network adapter. All works fine, I can get online just fine, but when I turn off and restart the computer the USB driver does not recognized that the USB adapter is there. I have to unplug it and then plug it back in and then all is well.

At first they store I bout this USB Adapter from told me that I needed to do all my updates, so I did, and it was perfect. it was found when I rebooted and everything. But then to fix a second issue with the monitor I was told to try the "hold down the command/option/P/R keys and let the computer do the start up sound. since I have done this (which did not fix my issue) the usb adapter has now not been found by the computer on start up again.

Does anyone know how I can tell my mac to look for this drive on start up?

as I said it is a mac mini G4 10.4.11

thanks for any help.

Hey,

Have the same setup, and "it just does that". Pretty well documented that the software is to blame. I have a workstation that I don't reboot much, but it is a pain most of the time.

From MacWireless FAQs/known problems with USB wireless:

Issue: 11n USB Stick is sometimes not recognized after restarting the computer.
    Solution: Unplug the 11n USB Stick and plug it back in.

Issue: 11n USB Stick will not automatically reconnect after restart to networks with hidden SSID.
    Solution: Manually re-configure the USB Stick through Wireless Utility software or make the SSID visible and consider instead using a stronger form of security, such as WPA2 or a MAC address filter.
    Yes, those are for N sticks, but the G sticks were the same way, regardless of brand because the issue is with the software, not hardware.

I think there was a fairly recent update to the wireless software in question, but I haven't tested it to see if it is any better.

As for your PRAM reset, I would be a bit surprised if that would effect the stick.....but maybe? Not sure what you can do but reinstall the software again?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

thanks for the tips. I figured there may be no hope but maybe doing a reinstall is something I should give a try. Thanks again