Thread: What is wearing out? My Monitor, Graphics card, other?

Default What is wearing out? My Monitor, Graphics card, other?

Usually the CNA's or home health people turn my computer on during the process while I am getting out of bed. By the time I see it things are just fine.

But.... if I watch my computer turn on from start (room temp ~60/65 F) the monitor stays black until my computer reaches the point when the grey screen is displaying the Apple logo and the spinning circle/clock and it is dark but readable. Then the stock Leopard screen display with the dock and hard drive icons pop up but the screen is still somewhat dark. After a few minutes less than 5 everything looks great. The colors are bright and looks normal. So what might be going on? This has been going on a while but seems it's getting worse. I don't recall a warmup period when monitor was new.

This happens with my Dual 1.6 Giga in the DA with a...
    20" Samsung LCD Monitor -- about 2 years old or less. DVI <--> DVI
    A 128MB GF 4600 ti graphics card - used daily about 4 years

I have not tried swapping graphic cards. After it's warm and I do a restart or shutdown and power up things are bright right away.

First thoughts or Ideas
    Randy

My Money is on the monitor.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Unhappy Probably, that was my first thought.

I looked through the old thread when I purchased the monitor it is a Samsung 204B. It was purchased late July or early August of 2006. So it is about 2 1/2 years old.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Sounds like the backlight is getting weak. I have a flat screen with an aging backlight as my second screen on my imac and compared to the iMacs screen it takes a long time to brighten and looks pretty washed out even after it is as bright as it gets. It's quite a bit older than yours though I don't know how our usage 'on time' compares
    Damien,

It takes my ViewSonic a couple minutes to "warm up" too. I think I bought it just before you bought yours.

If it dies I'll just get a bigger one for the same price.

Don't know the tech behind it, but many an old LCD have to warm up for a while before they are at full brightness, good color. Hopefully it still has at least several years of life in it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Looking for info...

Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (parts): 3 years
    Manufacturer Limited Warranty period (labor): 3 years
    I'll have to check this out.

My Pismo has the "Pink Screen" issue. It goes away after about 5 minutes. It's done this ever since I installed Tiger on it. Weird.

It doesn't seem to be getting any worse so as long as it clears up after a few minutes I don't worry about it.

Default Ya I'll just watch it a while...

Still wanting an iMac next year. I'll start turning things on myself from now on and look for other issues. Then I can monitor if it's getting worse.

monitor the monitor.

Hopefully it still has at least several years of life in it.
    Me to. I'll need to ride it as long as I can.