Thread: Kernel Panic /NetAuthAgent?

Default Kernel Panic /NetAuthAgent?

At least a few times per week, my Mac kernel panics. Thought maybe it was Firefox (3.0.6). If close that app, it seems, the panics go away (but not always). This has been happening for about 2 months now. I think I may have found the culprit in the act... Tried to save a file just now on a disk located elsewhere on our internal network. Got a spinning wheel, and had to relaunch finder (several times). After looking at the Activity Monitor, I found that NetAuthAgent process was hogging 99% of the CPU. Don't know what that process is, or how it relates, but am wondering if it is the root cause of the problem.

I must keep using Firefox, since its the only browser that is fully compatible with the apps I must use online.

Anyone have any clues?

Mac OS X 10.5.5
    Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
    Laurie

Howdy boss,

Number one reason for Panics is RAM that makes the OS unhappy. Talk to flunkie computer guy about swapping out some of your RAM if he hasn't yet.

Next time you have a panic..........I mean your G5 has a panic.......can't help you with your panics.....you might look at the crash logs too. Very cryptic, but some clues can be had there. I think Eric and others have some skills with console logs.

As for the network save, any other trends related to that? Are you saving to a Mac, Win, or some other network storage box?

Normal troubleshooting might be good too, including running Disk Warrior, and perhaps AppleJack. Any reason you are not running 10.5.6? If not, might be a good time to run the 10.5.6 Combo Updater. Backup first please.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I'll get the tech support guy here to look at the ram and the logs. I think he probably has a little experience with that. He's usually the one to shut down my computer when he hears the fans going a thousand miles an hour... He's already done some maintenance, although I'm not sure what...

As for the network save, its a disk located on another Mac computer on our network. I have two disks on that computer mounted in finder every day. Most times, both are fully accessible in finder. Occasionally, I have to click on a local disk first, then back to the remote disk in order for finder to show me anything. Very strange. Its almost like it gets "lost" hunting...

Hmmm...Disk warrior on which disk though? Don't know what I'm looking for.

Oh and I NEVER upgrade the OS until I know for sure I can successfully run the business apps. For a test bed, I let Brian and Rick run it for a while before I venture into those dreadful waters...
    Laurie