Thread: Burly Dual PM 6 bay Raid 0 issues

Default Burly Dual PM 6 bay Raid 0 issues

Hi,

I have the Burly Dual PM 6 bay Raid 0 (as seen here http://macgurus.com/productpages/sata/BurlyDualPM.php) and the Lycom eSATA 4 Port controller (http://macgurus.com/productpages/sata/LYCeSATA-4e.php). I have a feature film stored on two Burly towers with identical media on them. I also have external drives that have the original masters from on set.

We had another film come up in the middle of posting the first, and so we pulled the drives from the towers, stored them in a safe foam shipping box in static bags while shooting the second film. Well, now we're ready to online the first film and complete it (locked picture and getting elements to our sound guys, etc) and that's when our issues started.

I was very adamant about labeling everything correctly and not switching drives and trays and cables, etc, but when I reinstalled the drives exactly as they were before the other film, OS X says "RAID 2 was not repairable by this computer. It is being made available to you with limited functionality. You must back up your data and reformat the disk as soon as possible." The drive shows up on the desktop, and it lists the one folder on the drive that exists (simply called /MEDIA/), but when I try to open it, it doesn't show. It also doesn't give me the total space of the folder when I look at its' info.

RAID 1 on the other hand only shows 4 of the 6 drives mounted in the tower.

What steps should I take to start assessing the problem? Did we screw it all up by installing the other array in the tower in the middle of a project (I had an expert friend tell me it would be fine but who knows..)? I tried verifying and repairing through disk utility but it said that the drive cannot be verified or repaired. Should I try Disk Warrior or something else? I'm sort of stuck and don't want to try anything else until I know what steps I should take.

Thanks and I hope you can all help. We do have backups on external drives but they've been stored and might also have issues when I try to plug them back in.

Thanks,
    Will Wedig

William,

You are doing things right. Next need to figure out what is going on - one array at a time!

The one that only shows 4 of the 6 drives, start with it. Leave everything up, running and connected. Unlatch all the drive trays and open them a teensy bit. This disconnects the drives. Then, starting at the top, with DIsk Utility running, insert the first one. Wait on it and see if it shows up. Work your way down the list. Go slow, look at each drive, and see which show up. Keep notes so you know which drives are which.

That may by itself get things back working on that array. If you have a drive that doesn't show, try reseating it again. IF it still doesn't show, remove one of the drives that is working and stick the no show drive in its slot. See if it shows there. If it does, then try the drive that was working in the slot that wasn't. Keep good track of things so we know what worked and what didn't.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Great! Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to try that this afternoon.

But just to clarify, installing and setting up another array of drives in a tower does not mess up the first array of drives. I just want to make sure I didn't screw it all up from the get go.

Thanks,
    Will

And to repeat, you are doing things right.

The enclosure has NOTHING to do with the RAID volume - It only powers and connects the drives up. You could put several of the drives in Firewire boxes, a couple inside your computer and one attached via USB and the RAID would mount. The RAID itself is 100% stored on the drives themselves. Even the order in the box can be considered non important.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin