Thread: Giga Designs & Leopard

Default Giga Designs & Leopard

Hello folks, A few years ago I picked up a Giga Designs upgrade from the Gurus. I hear there have been a few challenges with getting Leopard running with it. There are a few links around, describing how you, for example:

"...1) Click OK to the dialog informing you your Mac isn't fast enough, NOT RESTART

2) You'll be presented with an idle desktop, and will be able to choose 'Terminal' from the Utilities menu.

3) Run 'kextload /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/Giga- Meter.kext'. This extension loads into the leopard kernel without difficulty.

When I run this I get the following message: "No such file or directory."

I've spent hours doing several different variations of this. I've tried starting up in different partitions of Tiger, always making sure that the "Giga-Meter.kext extention is loaded.

On the "Brad" site...

http://www.brad-x.com/2007/10/27/how...gns-g4-upgrade

I found a number of posts from people trying to run this, with varying degrees of success/results. I've tried running the Terminal with their suggestions with varying degrees of luck. The only albeit temporary success I've had is the Terminal recognized the directory.

Thanks in advance.

Not much help here since I'm still running 10.3, but I've run into the "no such file" thing before while mucking about in Unix. It's always been because I didn't have the correct path to the file. Double-check exactly where the file is, and the exact path to it. You can have no typos whatsoever in Unix.

Right. I did exactly that. Checked over and over the path and typed and re-typed the above. But thanks for the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by uraniumwilly View Post
    kextload /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/Giga- Meter.kext
    If this is exactly what you typed I imagine that the backslash, and subsequent space could be a problem. Unless of course the drive where the file resides is really Macintosh\ HD. It's not a good idea to have characters like that or spaces in a HD name though. It can do weird things.

Also is there actually a space between the hyphen, and Meter in Giga-Meter?

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    If this is exactly what you typed I imagine that the backslash, and subsequent space could be a problem. Unless of course the drive where the file resides is really Macintosh\ HD. It's not a good idea to have characters like that or spaces in a HD name though. It can do weird things.
    Hmm! I'll try removing the \ HD tomorrow morning. I purposely changed the name of the hard drive to "Macintosh" during the first 2 hours of trying absolutely everything... I had assumed the author of this workaround had also not named his hard drive "Macintosh\ HD"... Me, not knowing anything about Unix. Thanks again.

Hmm! I'll try removing the \ HD tomorrow morning. I purposely changed the name of the hard drive to "Macintosh" during the first 2 hours of trying absolutely everything... I had assumed the author of this workaround had also not named his hard drive "Macintosh\ HD"... Me, not knowing anything about Unix. Thanks again.
    In
    kextload /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/Giga- Meter.kext
    the first part of the path actually assumes that the main boot volume is actually called the default "Macintosh HD".
    /Volumes
    "Volumes" is actually the (normally hidden) directory of volume mountpoints -- that's where you'll find the various volumes (partitions) that have been mounted.

The path then specifies which volume in particular, namely "Macintosh HD", although because of the space it's written as:
    Macintosh\ HD
    The backslash "\" in unix is signaling that there's a space coming, and not to break up the command or path. Without it, the command would be interpreted as applying to two differernt paths (/Volumes/Machintosh and HD/System/Library/Extensions/Giga- Meter.kext)

As indicated by M.Brane you need to be careful about the spaces. In particular is the file really called "Giga- Meter.kext" with a space after the hyphen? If so that's going to create problems as well as the command with be applied along the path before and another different path after that space. With that space, the command is being applied to two different paths (/Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Extensions/Giga- and Meter.kext)! Might help explain why it can't find the file.

One of the easier things to do when you've got spaces in the path, at least for me, is just to use quotes. It's easier for me to interpret the path. Stick the path in quotes -- that's the other way to help/force the proper interpretation of a path with item-name with spaces. For example:
    kextload "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions/Giga- Meter.kext"
    When you use the quotes, you don't use the backslash.

------------ End of explanation -------------
    So what you need then to determine and modify if necessary are the following:

• the name of the boot volume. If it's called "Macintosh HD" then it's o.k. If not, replace "Machintosh HD" with the name of your boot volume.

You mentioned, renaming your boot volume just "Macintosh" (and if that's still it's name), you would most likely use:

kextload "/Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/Giga- Meter.kext"
    • Double-check the name of "Giga- Meter.kext" is there really a space after the hyphen? I doubt it. If there isn't then you'll need to modify the command again:

kextload "/Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/Giga-Meter.kext"
    Actually if there aren't any spaces, then the quotes in the last version are in a way overkill and aren't needed -- but it won't do any harm if you use them anyway ;-). But if the file is called "Giga- Meter.kext" with the space, you're going to want the quotes.
    ----------
    Normally the fastest cheat to get the path right is to:
    1. Type the first part of the command, then

2. Navigate to the file in the Finder.

3. Then drag and drop the file into Terminal. Terminal will then stick the full absolute path to the file.

But it looks like this is no good for you since you probably don't have access to the Finder. So you've got get the command, in particular the path, right.
    Last edited by eric; 02-11-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Ah! You guys seem to have found the problem. I'll try this, Eric, and report back. Thanks, so much!