Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blu-ray and More

I have no wife, kids, pda, DVD, cell phone only an aging G4 computer. Those devices have yet to be marketed in Montana. Seriously no wife, kids, pda or cell phone. I'll think on it.

Talking

Funny. Thats a good one. Nothing can beat that post. Cant help you with that. hahaha Soon they'll move this tread someplace else.

Quote Originally Posted by Disc2 View Post
    Soon they'll move this tread someplace else.
    Naw. The moderators around here are pretty lax when it comes to threads going off-topic.

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    I have no wife, kids, pda, DVD, cell phone only an aging G4 computer. Those devices have yet to be marketed in Montana. Seriously no wife, kids, pda or cell phone. I'll think on it.
    Heck, here at MacGurus dungeon, I has nearly as little as Randy. I do have the wife and kid, gotta have someone to help till the earth and eat the venison and elk meat. But no PDA, no cell phones, nor all those other electronic devices. Not even any TeeVee any longer. Computers and hard drives.... yeah. All that other stuff, nada. Can be peaceful.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yes off-topic is fine and welcome. Also some great info on remotes and despaxas last post. The latest and greatest Harmony is the 890 for $233 on Amazon. k

Also if you would like to try the Salling Clicker. Tried the demo last night and works well with any Mac with bluetooth or with dongle. It controls iTunes, DVD player, Quicktime Player, iPhoto and much more. It works with numerous bluetooth cell phones. I liked it but demo mode for only 30 clicks and reset it again and again for another 30 clicks. Just fun.

Here is another of those big remotes you can't possibly lose, yah right.
    Harmony 1000 k

Any idea how far we can upgrade a G4 to be HD capable? I know that there is a USB dongle that you can watch HDTV broadcast at home and on the road. BluRay drives as I read, wont be able to play those movies on a G4 not a G5. Are there any hacks around this. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disc2 View Post
    Any idea how far we can upgrade a G4 to be HD capable? Thanks
    Do you mean drive size?

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I bought a Logitech Harmony remote. It runs everything I have including the little portable electric heater I have.
    Would that be one of those infrared ones? I bought one 2 weeks ago and it has a remote. So far I like it. I have shut my 26 year old inefficient electric baseboards off and never turned them back on yet. Waiting to compare with my next electric bill.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

no unfortunately.. just a little tower style forced air heater
    Damien,

This is a scan (dumbed down for the web) of the general Video/Audio choices from my Samsung Blu-ray player manual. The manual has pages and pages of detailed wiring for each choice.

k

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Kinda surprised to see a composite video out on there, it's a poor quality line and has been around since the first VCR's or maybe earlier.

That optical audio is nice when your receiver on your surround system has no HDMI, like mine.
    Damien,

Here is the completed unit:

except for a VCR (S-VHS) which will be on the empty right side upper shelf. It will only be used to play tapes. It cannot record since its tuner is analog. It could record if connected to a converter but I have no need for that. I just want to watch the tapes I have, and as I understand the situation, I can do that.

Both the LCD screen and the Blu-ray disc player when "off" together draw less than 1W. The white box is the Tripp Lite ISOBAR6ULTRA Isobar Ultra Surge Protector/Suppressor 6 outlets 6ft Cord 2350 Joules. You can't see the status LEDs from this angle. k

Thumbs up Looks Great Kaye

Looks Nice stand. I need to find one myself.

Nice. I like the minimalist approach.

Looks great! I love those isobars, brownouts and lightning strikes are somewhat common in central Austin, and they've always tripped when needed. I've had a couple components get taken out with other types, it maybe a coincidence, maybe not. Regardless, the feature of having one bank of plugs isolated from another bank of plugs on the same strip is great for work where I'll have monitors in one bank, computers and wall warts on the other, and audio or video components on a second two bank strip. Very usefull since I still have CRTs everywhere, and also a noisy neon sign.

rwm,

Every LG 42' LCD comes with a stand looking at their website. Check with where you purchased it if they forgot to include it. If they don't have it go here:
    http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp and click Parts & Accessories. k

Kaye, yes it came with the stand. Thanks and I finally got the correct remote.

Hello,

if HD and 1080p comes into play nearly every LCD-TV has a great picture quality.

Not so if you still have non HDTV via satelite or cable...

The best SD to HD convertion I saw was from a SONY Bravia, no ugly, pixelized quadratic edges, a pretty good image quality.
    Here it comes to the LCD-TVs image engine.
    Cheap LCD-TVs engines are bad to non present
    So a middle priced Samsung is a good choice but, I never saw a better SD to HD convertion like the one from the SONY Bravia series.

If you already have HDTV via cable or satelite (DVB-C2, DVB-S2) and the LCD-TV is receiving HDTV not SDTV the image is near to Bluray/HD-DVD.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!