Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Blu-ray and More

Been awhile since I posted to this thread. Good info Nicolas.

I purchased another new Samsung BD-P1500 1080p Blu-ray Player, about $180 including shipping, handling, and CA tax. Should arrive Monday. This one is going to mate up with my family room 36" Sony which does not have HDMI and will replace a JVC DVD/CD player. The JVC will mate with a smaller Sony which also does not have HDMI in her master bedroom because the wife wants a DVD player there.

Cabling for all of this is going to be interesting without HDMI. k

Default iMac Computer to TV

Do we have a thread around here talking abut sending the computer to the TV? Or is this it.

Specifically Netflix on my iMac to my new LG TV without spending another 100 bucks for a Netflix converter?

rwm, I don't know if this will prove to be helpful but here is a link:
    Kill your Cable TV Bill Dead
    Scroll on down to Discuss This. There are 4 pages of comments currently. k

Thanks Kaye!!

I killed our DishNetwork account a couple months ago. All businesses, 'xceptin gun stores, are significantly down in sales since the first of the year. I figured to not wait until we were in dire financial straights before cutting costs. So high dollar TV was out. That article is right on time!

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

A Mac Mini + Myht-TV isn't bad but, afaik no BD bto option and costly...

For around $500 you can build yourself a HTPC BD-Rom/DVD-RW included.

1. Cheapo MB Asrock 780g FullHD mATX (no videocard needed)
    2. 2GB RAM DDR2-800 (look at the QVL List from MB vendor)
    3. Hauppauge Nova 2 Plus HD (for satelite) remote included (the Hauppauge remotes need no scripting it simply works with MediaPortal and some other HTPC frontends).
    4. BD-Rom/DVD-RW e.g. LG
    5. Antec NKS240 (PSU included)
    6. A silent, 5400rpm 1TB HD from WDor Samsung (if you don't have so much music or films a smaller one will fit as well)

If you do have an older PC around (PIII 933 and up somewhat faster for HD) use it, buy a cheap HD ready videocard like a ATI 2400pro (the ATI mpeg2/4 codecs are realy good and then you don't need a powerfull CPU ).

If you have a copy of win XP home/Pro, Vista any 32Bit version around use it. And install MediaPortal as your interface. done.

If you don't have windows around use, with a bit of work LinVDR, Gen2VDR or something equal.

Now you can record TV programms, burn them to DVD, share them over your LAN (MediaPortal and others are able to stream TV via LAN, can be shown using e.g. VLC). Watch DVD/BD, hear music, watch slideshow of your pictures, listen to inet radio or via satelite or cable (depends on your TV-Card) and some other goodies like see weather forecast, play some games,

Regards

Nicolas
    Last edited by Nicolas; 04-17-2009 at 05:56 AM.
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default Thanks everyone

Just read the article Kaye. Good info. Sitting here thinking now.... if I had or do they make a mini DVI to VGA.

I am a tired puppy tonight... it's been a long day.
    Goodnight all,

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    do they make a mini DVI to VGA.
    Yup.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Fumes

Awhile back the wife was complaining that our two rooms with LCD TVs had irritating fumes. I could not smell it but I did a Google search and discovered that the problem was nearly all recently purchased TVs, LCD, Plasma, and CRT, have the problem. It seems that the glue bonding the plastics is the problem. Some say that the fumes disappear after about a month. And that is what occurred for us, no more fumes now.

In fact hotels with old TVs but with newly redecorated rooms or new bedding or mattresses or carpeting have had problems with fumes. So the problem is not just new TVs. Some Apple customers with plastic monitors have complained as well. k

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

It must be pretty subtle, I never noticed with my LG LCD I bought a while back.
    Damien,

If I recall correctly Damien, LG LCDs were about the only ones that did not give off the fumes most owners said. k

Default Led tv

By now some of you may have heard of this new type. Here is Samsung's version k

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Looks pretty sweet

I want one as a test model, Rick why don't you have that 55" series 8 sent to my house and I'll let you know
    Damien,

Hey Kaye, does that Samsung talk to you too? I notice it is looking at you:

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default fumes

I have never noticed fumes on my 42" LCD LG. I have noticed some heat.

Yes Rick it does. It sez I'm smellier than it is. k