Thread: desktop and screensaver menu won't open ??

Default desktop and screensaver menu won't open ??

I have a macbook 2.4 2GB Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55) I bought last week and its already giving me problems.

when I click on desktops and screensavers under system preferences, it only quits responding with a black preview screen.

I've deleted a few .plist files that begin with preferences or desktops, trying to fix it.

I've deleted everything in the cache file

I've tried running the repair disk permissions utility

I have no idea what to do, the same thing happened last week and deleting a .plist file fixed the problem, now i just can't fix it.

It doesn't do this in a "test " account

Help! Please!

Try downloading the latest Leopard Combo Updater and run it. See if it cleans things up.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Good work so far, you should be on the right track. Be sure you are grabbing the com.apple.screensaver pref from the /Users/(user with issue)/Library/Preferences/Byhost/ directory.

com.apple.desktop lives one directory up in /Users/(user with issue)/Library/Preferences/.

Remember that you don't have to actually trash the pref, just move them out of their directories. Then when you open the system pref pane, they should generate a new pref. You can keep the original where ever til you are done, or even move them back where they belong if you find they are not the issue.

See what that does for you.
    Last edited by unclemac; 12-19-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin