Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Please help with G4 dual processor upgrade

Default software version

I think that it was just too hot from running several hours. I've started looking for slower processors on eBay.

Scott

If your CPU's are running at 1.4GHz then they are over-clocked some. Try turning they down with the proper jumper settings to 1.2GHz and see what happens. Heat is a byproduct with a 3rd party CPU upgrade. Unless extremely excessive it won't hurt things.

FWIW I wouldn't attempt to run 10.5 on my dual 1.6 G4. I don't think a slower CPU is gonna help with that. It may run longer, but it will have to to get anything done.

I run 10.5 on my singe 1.2 in an old DA, and it is just enough to be good, not great overall speed. Dual anything over 1 I think would be fine, but 10.4 would fly. Max (1.5GB) of RAM helps too.

What Randy said..........down clock your CPU to about 1.2 and give it a whirl. Pushing CPUs much beyond their designed spec can create serious heat and stability issues fast. Even 100 Mhz can make a big difference.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I don't see that Seti is ready for 10.5.x I should of had you check first.

Default settings fro clocking

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    If your CPU's are running at 1.4GHz then they are over-clocked some. Try turning they down with the proper jumper settings to 1.2GHz and see what happens. Heat is a byproduct with a 3rd party CPU upgrade. Unless extremely excessive it won't hurt things.
    I saw that someone sent some jumper settings, but they're not specific to my upgrade. I can't find ANYTHING on this upgrade kit to know what settings to use.

BTW - It stayed on over-night.

Scott

Thumbs up Runs all night

Look at my post 26. It has jumper settings for 2 different Giga's. Leave it at a 100MHz bus don't change the voltage in post 28. Then look at the CPU jumper charts that are numbered like your are.

If it ran all night it is sounding stable to me. I have a Dual 1.6 Giga and it's warmer but very stable.

Default jumpers

Thanks! I had a MAC friend work with it last night and we put it through some serious stress and it held up. I'm going to run the same tests for 24 hours and see if it goes OK, but I'm pretty satisfied with the 20+ minutes is ran under stress.

We ran the following simultaneously:
    yes program
    chess (computer played itself)
    iTunes visualizer

We then poked around, opening and closing various things. It was very sluggish, but didn't shut down and actually still had relatively cool air coming out where there used to be a ZIP drive.

Thanks for all of the help; This is one of the most active and helpful forums I have ever used.

Cheers,

Scott