Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please help with G4 dual processor upgrade

Default Get it stable without sleep first.

Agreed, especially when troubleshooting other things. Never sleep the OS or HD (monitor is OK), at least until you are sure everything else is fine. Sleep usually works very well.......until you upgrade hardware like CPUs, video cards, PCI cards, etc. Then it is at a case-by-case basis.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default sleep is evil

I am actually using the MAC for this message. I can get it to run pretty stable for a while.

How can I be sure that the temperatures are OK? I'm going to leave it on....without using sleep mode.

I have rigged a larger fan on the CPU and will have to cut the case if this works.

My display seems a little choppy today...

Somone in store suggested that my AGP card might actually be overheating.

How can I know what the exact issue is?

Scott

Default jumpers

any suggestions on where to find the jumper settings for this upgrade kit that's no loner available?

Default no turning back

OK - case is officially altered...

I got it to run for hours with the case open. I never let it sleep, but I did use the screen saver and I set the HD to shut down.

I have rigged two fans on the CPU and basically cut out the bay where the ZIP drive was. It actually created a little venting in the front of the machine. They do make exhaust fans that fit in a 3.5" front bay and I may still be able to get one in there if needed.

The graphics seem to be better now as well. Perhaps it's because I didn't have all hardware in place? I don't know just a guess, but perhaps because I had the DVD drive in the computer it was looking for it? I'm not sure why it's all ok now?

I hope this works...but who knows...

I still wish there was some sure-fire way to know that the CPU is not running too hot.

Thanks for all your suggestions and I'll post in the morning and let you know if my computer stayed on all night, or it if wouldn't come back.

Cheers,

Scott

Default still trying

Are there any upgrade kits that work for this? Where can I find a new single processor if I just want to restore it to its original speed?

Scott

Default Check these settings.

Be careful it was never advisable to change much. We usually would only turn CPU down lower to reduce heat and get computer stable. If running leave the voltage.

Default looking better

I have been running it now for about an hour with the case closed and it's not shutting down...

Is there a more scientific way to know the temp is OK other than "it doesn't shut itself down?"

I rigged a 3000rpm Ultra Kaze fan on it and it seems to like it so far.

Scott

Default or here...

voltage

Default might be there

For better or worse...I have been running this machine with case closed for a while.

I ran a benchmark test and it did pretty well, and from what I see of other like machines, it should never have been upgraded with this much CPU speed!

I was hoping to find a benchmark test that would stay intense for a few minutes so that I could see if it will over-heat.

Any suggestions?

Scott

Default OpenMark will stress it.

It is a free application. OpenMark

Lightbulb

Or, drop an anvil on it with SystemLoad.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I tried to reply last night before I went to work (12 hour shift uggh), but my connection was flakey. Didn't have time to troubleshoot it. Had to re-boot my router. Seems fine now.

Have you checked the other fans (case, and PSU)? I originally had my dual 1.6 in a Mac like yours, and while it was noisey with the stock fans it didn't run too hot. Those fans are pushing 10 years old so they could be getting weak. I would be loath to push the thing too hard until you get some kind of heat sink happening on those transistors. Be a shame to burn it up.

There are still G4 upgrades available. Not as many choices as there once was since the market for PPC chips is all but gone. You can probably find a nice used MDD G4 for about the same price as an upgrade card though, and that's money better spent IMHO. If you want to find an original CPU those should be very cheap. Other World Computing may have one or there's always eBay.

Default benchmarks

I ran Open Mark and I get a score...I couldn't really find much on what that score really tells me.

I dropped the anvil on it and it shuts down...not sure if that just means it's hopeless, or if there's some information I can get out of that.

Ideas?

Scott

Default new message

can you tell I have today off?

I put the larger fan back in and now it says I can't run System Load with this architecture.

???

Here are Open Mark results:
    OpenMark started...
    workdfolder: /Users/scottweinhold/Downloads/GioFX OpenMark-1/
    resources: /Users/scottweinhold/Downloads/GioFX OpenMark-1/OpenMark.app/Contents/Resources/
    hardware detected:
    cpu family: 0x10c
    cpu type: 0x111
    opengl vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    opengl renderer: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX OpenGL Engine
    opengl version: 1.1 NVIDIA-1.5.36
    test parms:
    surface 1024x768 32bpp
    textures: on
    lighting: on
    keep in sync: off
    test started
    FPS 424.0 0 triangles
    FPS 307.0 1152 triangles
    FPS 258.0 4608 triangles
    FPS 220.0 10368 triangles
    FPS 183.0 18432 triangles
    FPS 150.0 28800 triangles
    FPS 118.0 41472 triangles
    FPS 106.0 56448 triangles
    FPS 81.0 73728 triangles
    FPS 78.0 93312 triangles
    FPS 65.0 115200 triangles
    FPS 55.0 139392 triangles
    FPS 52.0 165888 triangles
    FPS 46.0 194688 triangles
    FPS 39.0 225792 triangles
    FPS 35.0 259200 triangles
    FPS 32.0 294912 triangles
    FPS 29.0 332928 triangles
    FPS 26.0 373248 triangles
    FPS 23.0 415872 triangles
    FPS 21.0 460800 triangles
    FPS 19.0 508032 triangles
    FPS 18.0 557568 triangles
    FPS 16.0 609408 triangles
    FPS 15.0 663552 triangles
    FPS 14.0 720000 triangles
    FPS 13.0 778752 triangles
    FPS 12.0 839808 triangles
    FPS 11.0 903168 triangles
    FPS 11.0 968832 triangles
    FPS 10.0 1036800 triangles
    FPS 9.0 1107072 triangles
    final score: 1179
    test stopped

It has been running for a while now and I'm going to leave it on.

Scott

Thumbs up

It seems to run fine. I agree with BRANE keep it cool until you know it's not burning up. OpenMark would have stress both graphics and CPU. Many thermometers now have a 6' long wire with a plastic/rubber probe. Place it closely or stick it oh the heatsink. It can't be that hot.

Default open mark

it looks like it only tested my graphics...

Any suggestions for freeware that will stress the CPU.

It's been running for a couple hours now and I've had it watching video streams of TV shows to see how it holds up.

Scott

Default test

Found one called CPUtest

http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-23539.html

Anyone know this?

I'm going to try these...

This will do more Seti. I'd call it good if this runs good. Never tried CPUtest.
    Last edited by rwm; 12-15-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Default seti

At first I thought i had the wrong thing...and then I wondered if I had to find ET life to be certain my computer was running OK...THEN the thing shutdown without even finishing the installation.

Thoughts?

Which version of OS X are you using? 10.?.?