Thread: cleaning office...time to sell off some goodies :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default cleaning office...time to sell off some goodies :)

Firmtek 1Se2 - external 2 port SATA card Mac/PC - $25
    Firmtek 14e4 - external 4 port SATA card Mac/PC - $35
    Apple Pro Digital Speakers (round bulbs, clear, white surrounds) - $12
    Creative Labs PCI Sound card, Sound Blaster LIVE - $10
    Fastrack ATA-100 dual channel PCI card with 2 ATA cables PC/Mac? - SOLD to Stewie
    ATTO UL3S - Ultra SCSI PCI card Mac/PC - SOLD
    OWC USB 2.0 external drive(s) - 1 60GB, 1 40GB - $25 each (basically price of case)...
    Nvidia PCI Video card (PC) - $15
    MDD PowerMac Memory - 1.5GB, 3x512 Memory chips - SOLD to Stewie
    PowerBook G4 17" Battery - low # of cycles - $40
    PowerBook / iBook square 45w charger (like new) - $35

Laptop computers

Toshiba 1905-S303 - Laptop for parts, working P4 CPU included, good screen - $50

Acer Travelmate - PIII - Good working Laptop - 60GB drive, 512Mem, PCMCIA, internal wireless (runs office 2003 and Internet great!) - $100

Sony VAIO FXA-53 AMD 1.3GHz - Great condition, not a scratch. PCMCIA ports are inoperable, USB / Firewire built in - $100
    Last edited by rguising; 12-03-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

I'll take the MDD memory for $10 ea + postage and the Fastrack ATA-100 dual channel PCI card for $10 + postage to 2096 Australia.
    You can't attach a SATA drive internally off the Firmtek 1Se2 card and then boot from it can you ?

Stewie
    Last edited by Stewie D; 11-30-2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added info

Default Hi Stew

I used a 1SE2 on my wife's MDD (just have route an external cable, ie one long enough, through a PCI slot cover and back to the card). Was bootable, and worked flawlessly.

Send me a PM, so I can email you contact info. (ie Paypal address).

Cheers,
    Robert

iMac G5

Default Just looked..

I have two 1S's, one internal and one external.

I assume you want the internal.

iMac G5

I would be interested in either of the 1SE2s.......Stewie gets first dibs.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I would be interested in the Firmtek if internal. I have one of the first that does not allow "sleep". I never sent it back for a fix. Works great.
    Well I was writing this last night until I saw external so put me on the list if there is an internal around.

Default Will let Stew respond, will give him first crack at this

RWM, if push came to shove you can still use an external, actually ends up being more useful as the external can then be used for ext boxes (G-Tech, Firmtek).. I could be talked out of those too

Unc, could you use a 1Ve4?

iMac G5

Hi all,

Just joined up. I stumbled across your forum as I've taken on a new project. I'm converting a 1ghz G4 MDD into a simple home server. So, I would definitely be interested in the Firmtek esata cards that you have. As mentioned by others, I am a little concerned about them being external because I would like to mount some drives internally. If I understand you correctly you can simply route an external cable inside the machine through an unused PCI slot on the back. Does this bring about any potentially negative side effect like dust, etc.? I've been looking at internal cards, but they are pretty expensive for my budget plus I'm really new to the "do it yourself upgrade" world. Advice and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

You can easily route the cables inside through a PCI slot as you said, just remember those slots are designed to be closed... leaving one open disrupts the cooling/airflow design of the case. Sometimes it helps mosttimes it hurts. Since they are in the back and unseen the ever popular Duct Tape would help in this case.

Firmtek is no longer the card of choice. They work fine as far as I know but it wouldn't surprise me that an OS upgrade breaks their drivers sometime soon. Having said that I have a Blue and White G3 that serves as an (upgraded) music server to my entire house. It has a Firmtek card in it and is happy as a clam running OS 10.3. Since this server sets there all day long with NO user at all OS 10.3 is fine and dandy and I have no plans to upgrade it any time at all.

If your server is going to be a Mac that gets used by people you will likely want it to have the latest OS which may make you want a better card. If it is not going to have a user on a regular basis an older card and an OS that works for your needs is definitely the economical way to go
    Damien,

I am currently using the latest version of Leopard for the screen sharing feature so I can run it headless. I've heard of other VNC options for this function, but screen sharing is just so easy. In looking at old cards vs new cards is there a speed difference? Most of cards I have looked at are like the one for sale here that have a 150 speed, but I've heard about newer models with 3gb speeds? Since I'm using an older computer am I locked into one or the other? To give some background I simply want to use this server for storage and back up. The plan is to put some big drives in it (750gb or up) and store media. I don't need internet sharing, print sharing, or internet remote access. I'm not familiar with Raid, but I'm sure I will get there in the future (one step at a time for a newbie like me). My other concern is heat, will I need to make changes if I put 3 or 4 drives in it? Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself for this thread. My hope was to find an affordable, but capable PCI SATA card. I hadn't considered eSATA until coming across this thread. I've seen the big names like Sonnet, etc., but those seem pretty expensive for my simple use.
    Michael

I have an older G4 Quicksilver with a Dual 1.6 upgrade and running 10.5.5 using a firmtek 1S2 and it works fine. I don't see a problem rerouting exterior cables. Thats me.

Can't speak about the Firmtek 1Se2 or Firmtek 14e4

Okay, here's another PCI Sata card question. If a card has a maximum drive load is that divided across all of the ports or is that just a general max? For example, I've found a used Sonnet Tempo-X eSata 4+4 card for a good price. The card is listed with a 4 TB max. Well it has 4 internal SATA ports and 4 external eSATA ports. Does that mean I can only use 500gb hard drives per port, i.e. 500gb x 8 ports = 4tb or can I use four 1tb drives whether internal or external and still be okay? I looked around for some time and can't seem to find an answer on this one. I'd really like to have the options that a card like this provides even though it is three years old, but I don't want to be constrained to 500gb hard drives.
    Michael