Thread: transferring user Pref's to new aluminum macbook

Confused transferring user Pref's to new aluminum macbook

hey guys,
    so a friend at work just bought a new aluminum macbook, and the main question is how does he transfer his user preferences and data FROM his old Ibook to the new notebook. As he does not have a .mac (or .me acct.) and there is no firewire anymore... so no targeting (huge bummer).
    he was telling me that the kids at the apple store said to use ethernet. is this the only way now? seems a little inadequate for what could be 60 gigs of data.

also... having him back up to an external HDD and pick and choose what he wants is not a good option for this non techie dude...
    --
    thanks

Thought I read somewhere that Apple tweaked the Migration Assistant so that it will work with USB now. If so, that would be the easiest way, assuming you want to mimic the setup from the old ibook. Migration assistant works over a network now, details here. That looks pretty painless too, though I have not tried it myself yet. I would stay away from wireless with that much data, but with a modern patch cable your speeds should be pretty good. The limitiation will be the port on the older ibook, which may no be Gig throughput.

Otherwise, you could consider USB to an external drive or flash drive, directly with Ethernet or wireless file sharing. If you had a DVD burner handy, you could go that way too.....though that would be the slowest of the bunch. I would try network first, and USB second for best speeds and simplisity.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

thanks, turns out he was able to do the transfer in 2 hours with migration asst. and a cat5 cable. go figure. i know usb and firewire are supposed to get really massive speed bump soon, but usb will never be able to do what firewire can do. namely target mode.

yeah, I sure hope Apple reverses course and puts FW on all machines. TDM is too handy to give up.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin