Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Hardware today!

It's not just the raw throughput.

FW also leaves management of devices on the bus to the devices themselves. That means more CPU available for other tasks. With a host-based DAW or a video rendering app that's a good thing.

It has been over a year since the specs and developmental chipsets were done for FW1600. And the spec for FW3200 are also approved and finished. Are they going to get out of the starter box? Doesn't look like it.

'Fraid to say that Firewire is on its way out. It was a us against them marketing death. Only took 9 years from birth to apparent death (the B&W was released in 1999) Firewire was initially designed in the late '80s. Been around a while without being implemented. Might still have a few surprises left, but not if Apple drops it from first one, then another set of product.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

It'll be interesting to see what happens with all the mid-level A/V hardware. Pretty much all of it is FW based right now especially audio. Current USB is incapable of handling the same amount of I/O.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with all the mid-level A/V hardware.
    The way I see it, everything will be going HD by the end of 2009 because only HD TVs will be available. I don't see USB keeping up with that.

Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto2002 View Post
    The way I see it, everything will be going HD by the end of 2009 because only HD TVs will be available. I don't see USB keeping up with that.
    Well I was thinking more along the lines of the production end of things. It doesn't take FW throughput to watch HDTV, but it sure takes something like it to produce it.

Default What's next?

The firewire debate aside, the new MBs are a nice design, and the video performance should be great, if not awesome all things consdiered.

So what happens next? I was thinking iMacs would be a likely choice considering they are mostly laptop tech anyway.....others seem to agree.

---

Oh, and as for the firewire is dead notion.......I don't agree.

All of our PC laptops at work have FW400 (even though it is the mini port), including Dells, HPs, and Lenovos. Most are mid level machines, not cheapy consumer, but not top of the line either. My wife has a newish Dell Inspiron 15" that cost all of 600 bucks and it has FW too. Dead? No, finally catching on. And if the PC industry moves as slow now as they have in the past, we will see FW for at least a few more years.

The real test is to to see if Apple cut it out of iMacs and Minis. Looking at the tear down of the AlumMB, the logic board is silly small, and there isn't any room left for more ports. Did the leave FW out so that they could cram in nealy twice as much battery? That would make some sense, as a long battery life is a juicy selling point.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

See.......no room left:

My tankless water heater has a larger board in it than this. Maybe it has FW too.....
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

The real test is to to see if Apple cut it out of iMacs and Minis.

Yup! That will be the real indicator of where Apple is going. We do need to notice that the only external storage device ever sold and made by Apple is USB.

All our whining won't mean a thing is Apple keeps on with FW. Nor will it stop them from dropping it. MacGurus needs to be prepared with product lines now for both FW and USB. This thread is invaluable for that, if nothing else.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Sign the petition asking Apple to keep FW, or more specifically to put it back into the MBs.

I signed it.

26 times. .......Just kidding. Just once.

Arrow duct tape and bubble gum

In the category of kludge, undoubtedly this means were in for the treat of a USB-to-1394 adapter market opening up. People will keep these adapters with our SCSI-to-1394, PS2-to-USB, ADB-to-USB, parallel-to-USB, and Serial-to-USB adapters in the back of the closet, because of that that ONE time in a hunnerd that we just HAD to use one. meh.

I can hardly wait for the slew of "which USB goes with what 1394 speed?" discussions this will engender.

"Plus la change, c'est la méme chose." or what ever.

What ever happened to the Universal part of Universal Serial Bus? The world may never know.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

Default Updated Macbook White - look ma' better graphics

http://www.apple.com/macbook/white/

http://www.apple.com/macbook/white/specs.html

Check the specs on the old style white plastic Macbook that still has firewire. Apple updated the graphics chipset to the NVidia GeForce 9400M which is also in the new unibody aluminums that don't have firewire.

The white one is however clocked slower and has slower memory DDR2 v DDR3.

Still, with the updated graphics this little white Macbook is much more a contender. What with firewire, it may become the only option for some -- even those with the cash to get beefier models.

If I were buying a portable today, I'd buy the white one no doubt about it.

Interesting. I wonder if they got an earfull from budget A/V users, an decided there was still money to be made?

Also no LED LCD, but a good value all things considered.

Regardless of why, this is a good thing! I was wondering if they were selling the previous model because they had:

- too much stock
    - mfg. contract
    - good profit (it was a mature design, with all design and fab cost long since paid for)
    - good demand as the lowest cost MB
    - education market needs
    - good demand as the only low cost FW option
    - all the above

The fact that they had to retool a fab faciltiy for a different logic board (will be interesting to see if it is the same shape, or if the entire layout has been tweaked) surely means they intend to build these for quite a while.

Long live FW! Would have really been impressed it it was FW 800.

Mini next please.

The new 27" 8 core iMac's must be I should of made my iMac a x-mas gift rather than a spring fling.
    The new iMac video from Apple.

27 inch - what a monster! Woof.

New mouse looks pretty cool too.

You can see already the next step in the mouse - a full touchscreen like the iPhone has. Full motion range and multifinger sensing. Getting interesting.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin