Thread: Apple USB Modem and Powermac G4

Default Apple USB Modem and Powermac G4

I have an G4 400 desktop in which the internal modem has ceased to work.

Has anybody used the $49.00 USB modem with an apple desktop that has a nonfunctioning internal modem? The eight? year old computer has run flawlessly otherwise. Or what are opinions on if this modem will work with a desktop that has a nonfunctioning internal modem.

Thanks

John Blake

Hi John,

I have used the new USB modem, but never with an old Mac. How about replacing the orignial?

Should be this one if you have a sawtooth.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Unclemac

Thanks for your reply. My G4 has an AGP graphics card slot. I don't know if this means that I have a sawtooth model or not.

I looked inside the computer and don't see a modem card as shown in the link
    in your reply. Just opposite the external connection for a phone line inside the computer is a metal box approximately 1"x1"x1". I would guess the modem is inside that box. There are two very small screws located on the underside of the box. I guess these small screws are used to remove the cover of the box.

I'm going to take my computer to an apple store to get fixed. I'm not about to
    try to take anything apart.

Thanks again for you help.

John