Thread: How much RAM for my MacBook?

Default How much RAM for my MacBook?

hi,
    i recently bought a macbook off of craigslist and upgraded the RAM to what i thought would be an OK 4gigs.

After tooling around the internet and passing by Crucials website they state my macbook can only handle 2gigs.

here's my specs;

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.17f0
    Serial Number: W8718V72YA3
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

the macbook see's all 4gig but my question is;

Is it able to use all 4gig?

any solid input would be great.

thanks,

hondo

According to my lists that model should only be able to see and index 3 GB of memory. If you have it showing 4, good deal.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Arrow 3GB vs 4GB subtle

OWC said in their initial investigation that the Core2 Duo MacBook can use only 3 GB for the MacOS, but a 4 GB configuration allows the shared video RAM to be interleaved for absolute maximum performance.

I have a mere Core Duo (initial MacBook black config) and only 2 GB memory is recognized. The machine won't even boot if more than 2 GB hardware RAM is installed.

If you see 4 GB available to applications, that's something I've never heard of before in a MacBook.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

How low can we go, quoting OWC about RAM of all things.
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Yeah, I'm sure they don't mind selling that extra 2GB stick to "optimize" the on board video. Seems buying an extra Gig of RAM to feed an integrated 64M video chip is overkill. Assuming the video chip can actually use RAM the OS does not address.

No doubt it would be optimized though with all 3GB available for software and having two matched sticks.....if it works they way they say.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Arrow as long as it takes

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    How low can we go, quoting OWC about RAM of all things.
    (That sounds like there's some resentment or hesitation about quoting OWC?)

I'll quote them as long as they're accurate and polite, especially when that information is not available anywhere else. I'm the kind of person to whom that extra 10% performance from interleaved integrated graphics RAM is significant. YMMV.

Link to RAM discussion
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Memor...Apple_MacBook/
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Fr...benchorig.html
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X