Thread: PowerBook G4 hard drive ribbon cable

Default PowerBook G4 hard drive ribbon cable

Anyone know a good source where I can get internal replacement parts for a PowerBook G4 without spending an arm and a leg? I recently picked up a 17" Aluminum 1.67GHz (not the one with the high-res screen), and not only did it lack a hard drive it lacked the ribbon cable for it. I've only found one place that has them in stock, PowerBookMedic.com has them for $30. iFixit.com normally has them for $20, but they're out of stock until July. Everyone else is charging $40 or more for them.

If you want to keep reading, here's the neat story of how I got the PowerBook. I recently joined the Capital Area Macintosh Users Group (CapMac) here in Austin. They had an auction last month of some donated PowerBooks to raise funds for the group. One of them was labeled "PARTS ONLY- BENT LOGIC BOARD/NO HARD DRIVE", but it was actually powered up and running Leopard from an external drive. A friend of mine said he'd spent awhile trying it out and couldn't find anything wrong with it other than the case. Sure enough, the case was bent enough that the lid doesn't close flat. But our thinking was that a logic board doesn't bend, it breaks, so since it could boot, it was probably fine.

It was a silent auction with bidding sheets for you to write on beside each machine. Bidding began at $50 with $10 minimum increments. It sat at $50 for a long time, then a couple people got wind of it and jumped in. I threw in an $80 bid and this one guy who was kinda hovering over it quickly put in $90. I put in $100 and he right away went to $110. I walked away figuring that was all I wanted to put into it.

Then when they announced one minute left, I thought "screw it" and went over to put in one more bid, just to see if that guy had reached his limit. But instead of going to $120, I put in $125. With seconds left, the other guy put in $130, and I figured "oh well."

Then I realized he hadn't made the minimum $10 bid increment. The auctioneers agreed with me and I won the thing!

It was listed as only having 512MB of RAM but I found out it was 1.5GB. Just need to get a hard drive in it and it'll be up and running. So again, if anyone's got any suggestions on where I can get a replacement hard drive ribbon cable, let me know.

Try Gary Dailey at gary@daystartechnology.com Used to be XLR8. He does all sorts of repairs and parts out the door.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I will keep an eye out. Any other parts you need for it?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Well, other than the hard drive ribbon cable, the only other thing I know of that I need for it would be... a hard drive. But I have a line on a Seagate 160GB for about $50-60.

I appreciate you looking out for me Uncle Mac, and I'll check with Gary at Daystar, Rick. Thanks to both of you.