Thread: SuperDuper for copying OS X to new drive

Default SuperDuper for copying OS X to new drive

Does anybody know how to direct Super Duper to copy operating system and apple apps to new blank partition on new drive?

I'm using OS 10.4.11 on G5 dual.

Thanks.
    Michael

Should be very straight forward...........SD has a simple interface and works nicely. Is there a particular problem you are having? If you haven't tried it yet, give it a whirl, and let us know what part is unclear or doesn't appear to work.

Oh, and the free version has only a few of the many features enabled last I checked. Have you purchased the full version, or just using the free limited version?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default No Startup Choice

Re: G5 PCI, OS 10.4.11

I bought sync...X Pro and used the synchronize function to copy my user (home) folder to a new partition on a freshly zeroed drive. I let it copy all the files. The partition is named Root. (Pretty original, huh!) When I opened System Preferences and hit the startup disc option, I got only one choice, and it was not the new one, I'm afraid. Disc Utility says the new drive and its volumes are fine.

So, I cannot seem to proceed to step two of the "move users 10.4" directions.

Any answers?

Thanks.
    Michael

If I am reading this correctly, sounds like you only moved your home directory.....which will not make that volume (drive, partition, etc..) bootable. You have to have the entire OS, plus some invisible things that cloning utilities take care of for you.

So, you would need to either:

A) Do a full install from media to have a bootable volume
    B) Clone a complete, working OS to have a bootable volume

So....what is that you really are wanting to do? Backup everything, have a second boot drive, change boot drives, change Users location.....or something else?

Let's talk about what you want to achieve, and then we can figure out 6 different ways to do it.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Creating new bootable drive

Thanks for the offer to help. I am trying to follow the instructions that Rick wrote in "Move Users 10.4" to create a new bootable drive.

It said nothing about a new installation.

Was that an unwritten assumption?

Thanks.

Michael

G5 PCI, 10.4.11

Michael,

SInce you are copying from one drive with everything, OS and users on that drive, onto a pair of 500 GB matching drives, the only difference is that you won't be erasing the source drive.

1) Using the Backup function of SyncPro copy Users to new Local Drive

2) relink Users on your current OS drive, reboot. You will now be running off the HOme directory on Local.

3) Using the Bootable Backup function in SyncPro copy the entire old OS drive to the new Root drive.

4) delete Users from the new OS drive "root"

5) Create the symlinks replacing the Users folder on Root with a Symlink to Local and create the Applications folder on Local with its Applications SYmlink.

6) start building and moving your data into proper folders inside your User Directory. All the stuff that wasn't already contained inside your old Users. Also install or move YOUR applications into the new Local Applications folder.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

By the way, the reason I didn't see this before was it was titled with Super Duper. Because I have never used Super Duper I left it for others to answer. Others being those that had.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Moving Users

Thanks, Rick. I'm gaining trust in this forum.

Regarding the symlink for applications, is this a link from root to 3rd party apps on local?

Like the article says, it is a link inside the /Volumes/Local/Applications folder that points to /Applications. That way you do not have to have 2 Applications folders open.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

Rick I am lost and overwhelmed.
    Re: application link-I do have a folder with 3rd part apps at Volume/Local/
    Does the link point to itself? I don't get it!

User's Folder-Totally weird-I do have a sym link on Volume/Root directed to a user's folder at Volume/Local/Users
    BUT (and this is making me crazy!)
    I also have Volume/Root/Applications (with a system symbol on it) with all the native apps in it.
    THEN I have Volume/Root/Library (with a red symbol on it) that is a duplicate of the Volume/Local Library folder AND below the sidebar line, I have a house named root with a Library folder, also with a red symbol on it. That Library folder has only 9 subfolders in it.

???

Thanks again for the help. This stuff is not how my brain works.

Michael

A symlink is a fake shortcut. A way to place a simulacra of the real thing somewhere to give a route to that something.

The goal here is two Symlinks:

1) in Root is a Symlink called 'Users' that points to /Volumes/Local/Users

That way any application goes looking for Users in / finds it and won't even know it is looking through a symlink at your Users that is on a different drive.

2) This one is best described in the guide, but the Applications symlink in /Volume/Local/Applications drive is purely for convenience. This is so when you look in the Local Applications folder you can still navigate from that one location to the apps that must stay in /Applications.

When you describe the Root drive as /Volumes/Root, that means that you are not booted to it. When you are booted to it Root is /Root or just /. You must be booted to it to create the correct Symlink. That Symlink points at /Applications. You cannot create that link properly if it is pointing to /Volumes/Root/Applications. It won't work right that way.
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin