Thread: WTB: ibook parts

Default WTB: ibook parts

Looking to buy iBook parts - G3 and G4, although I am more interested in G4 now.

Mad Dog (gionpetersATcomcastDOTnet)

How about a complete G3 ibook?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

what parts?

Default parts parts parts

First, I should specify that I am talking just icebook, not clamshell, when referring to G3 ibooks. I stopped doing clamshells a while back.

Unclemac: depends on the specs and the price. Most parts units have the dead GPU which I have to (tear the board out) and get reflowed.

Greentree: at the moment (not a complete list)
    14" screen for a 1.07 GHz G4 ibook (or at least a cable harness)
    optical drive cable for above
    G4 ibook motherboards (no-boot fan blast issues are tasty for me)

Generally, I dont buy units that are working perfectly - whats the point ? There is no fun in getting something totally working. I think I am getting O-C in fixing things to make them work. : )

Mad Dog

Well, I have a surplus 12" G3 700 ibook w/384 that needs some TLC. Fast enough to run 10.4 pretty well.....with a faster HD and more RAM it would be a great little portable for surfing the web. I have a second one in a bit better shape that my accountant (AKA wife) uses daily for web stuff with no complaints—running 10.4.

No failed video, but original HD which I suspect is on its last legs. You know what a project that is. The optical drive is very dead as well.....so swap 'em both while you are there. I think the return key no longer works....small chance it is the OS is wonky, but I really think the keyboard is the most likely culprit.

I also have a bag for it and two Apple power brickes, and it does have the OEM B wireless card. I was thinking about 75 bucks for the lot plus the freight. I also have surplus ibook RAM, though I don't think any is bitter than maybe 256, but maybe you have other victi....projects? I think the wireless card and power bricks alone would fetch that much on ebay, but I would like to see this lil' fella go to a good home.

Yell if you are interested......hopefully that is broke enough for you to make it a challenge. For an extra 10 bucks I can drop it first.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default parts is parts

$75+ shipping for a 700 + airport + 2 power bricks ? SUre, thats not a bad dal, even if its not _really_ broken. I appreciate the offer for "breaking it in", but I might as well have the pleasure myself. : ) I can sue the extra RAM if you dont want it (I am rebuilding iBooks a lot of the time).

Give me an email. gionpetersATcomcastDOTnet

thanks,

Mad Dog

PS: whatever happened to magician ? I still owe him a favor from long ago

email sent.

Mag is on sabbatical, smelling the roses and enjoying life last I heard. Bastard.

Kidding. Well deserved.