Thread: upgrade airport card in macbook pro

Default upgrade airport card in macbook pro

i have a macbook pro that was made before they put the 802.11n chip in it. is there any way to upgrade the airport card to utilize 802.11n?

Arrow affirmative

This ancient post reminded me that a friend of mine told me last weekend that the answer to this is YES....At least for my MacBook. MacBooks with a wireless g card are firmware upgradable to wireless n for a small fee.

I'll report back when I refind the URL he showed me. It's annoying to have been too busy fixing his G4 to get him to email me the URL. Searching "upgrade wirelss g to n" gives me way too many results.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

And if that doesn't get you there, there is always the third party USB dongle, now some shipping with N chipsets.

Be warned though, all of them (that I am aware of) require a third party driver and software, which is neither as easy, simple, or reliable as what Apple gives you. I have an older G USB dongle for an old G4 tower that can only use an original B Airport card, and while it works and range and performance is good, it needs to be unplugged/replugged every time I reboot.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin