Thread: Siig Sata card for OSX 10.4.11 in G4 ?

Default Siig Sata card for OSX 10.4.11 in G4 ?

I use a G4 Digital Audio with a Giga 1.4Ghz upgrade.
    Can the Siig dual channel Sata card boot OSX 10.4.11? And 10.5?
    Am I better off with Seritek?

The Siig I believe is 4 channel. And the answer is yes, it is bootable in that setup.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thanks Ricks,
    There is actually a 2 channel model, and i cant see needing more than 2 drives.
    Have you used them in OS 10.4?

I'm reluctant about all this as i have 2 Fujitsu scsi drives that are 10k and 15k U320 running on an adaptec 29160n.
    But for some reason they benchtest slower than my Maxtor 200 GB 7200 rpm ATA 133 on the stock G4 buss!!
    The scsi drives also cant be seen with an OSX install disk. BUT, OSX profiler sees the card.......weird. I'm tired of this scsi crap.

I have only tried the 4 port card. I assume they both have the same boot code though. Not that that is worth anything.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hebjam View Post
    I use a G4 Digital Audio with a Giga 1.4Ghz upgrade.
    Can the Siig dual channel Sata card boot OSX 10.4.11? And 10.5?
    Am I better off with Seritek?
    I have a SIIG 4 channel PCI/SATA card that I have used in both a Digital Audio with OS 10.4.11 and a MMD with OS 10.5.3. It boots OK with either. I have not done any benchmark testing so I can not tell you how it compares to anything else.

I would suggest that you get the 4 channel one. You never know when you may want the extra channels. You can run 2 of them to an open PCI slot to make them "external" for running backups or whatever or simply open the door and temporarily plug into them as needed.

As I understand it, the SATA connection is faster than even the FW 800 and it does not care whether the drive is mounted internally or externally which helps speed up backups.