Thread: Putting a PDF on the web

Default Putting a PDF on the web

I want to share a PDF file with others. It isn't in the public domain, so I can't just give out a link.

Is there a site where I can put the PDF (a bit like Photobucket for pics) so I can share it, or am I back looking at setting up my own web page?

Thanks.

Allen.

what's wrong with email?

I drop PDFs on my iDisk all the time. Then a simple link allows you to let anyone download it from there. My iDisk path to a PDF that is in my Public folder looks like this:

Code:
    www.homepage.mac.com/rstephens/.Public/xxxx.pdf
    You would just substitute your users name where I put mine.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hello.

Greentree: I want to put the PDF on a messageboard so that as many people as want to can look. Okay, maybe three, but maybe three thousand. Lots of emails.

Rikks: I'll have a look at that option. (Do I have to PAY anything?)

Thanks for the interest.

Allen.

As usual, answering my own questions...

iDisk is through .Mac which is quoted at $99 per year for the basic set-up, which sometimes translates into 99 using the Mac system of currency exchange rates. Handy bits, like the webpage and photosharing, but I think I should be exploring setting up my own free webpage somehow.

Allen

You can use a free hoster like:
    http://www.freehoster.us/

You can upload a bunch of pics at ones, make a album, resize the images and so on and it is for free.

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

I like Jing for pics and video, though no .pdf support that I know of. Fun and free to use too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Coolest free thing I've found for this is Quickshareit. Just drop your image or any file under 100 megs on it, copy the url after it uploads and paste that url in your post.
    http://www.quickshareit.com/

I was under the impression that the content was not for public viewing? so you would need a website that is atleast password protected. what about usernames? single one for everyone? how are you going to limit access from others registered users? not sure about blog sites how they limit them but they might be the best. do you want people to comment on work etc???

He said:

Quote Originally Posted by billybobski View Post
    so that as many people as want to can look.

So I thought public is the thing he wants cuz he don't want to tell everyone a password.

Just to clarify:

it's a PDF of a magazine page from the New Statesman, to which I am a paid-up subscriber. Only paid-up subscribers can see recent editions of the magazine, and then you are given a full copy in PDF form. You can't give out the URL, as non-subscribers hit a 'Are you a subscriber yet?' wall.

So, I need a website where I can upload my PDF page so that anyone else can see it.

I haven't looked at Quickshareit yet, but it sounds possible.

Thanks for the help.

Allen.

Just to thank almaink for the Quickshareit info.

Brilliant!

Download the program, drag the PDF in question to the new Dock icon, and in 5 seconds, it's uploaded and you're told of the URL.

Prog. only works for Macs, but obviously the URL can be opened by anyone.

As you said, almaink, cool.

Thanks again.

Allen.

Watch out for copywrite infringements. Hate to get in legal trouble posting owned properties.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Watch out for copywrite infringements. Hate to get in legal trouble posting owned properties.

Rick

I 2nd that you could get into serious trouble because of the copyright!

Thanks for the caveats, fellows.

Allen.