Thread: Tiger 10.4.11 trouble(s)

Default Tiger 10.4.11 trouble(s)

Hello guys, here it is.
    Got an Tiger on my 9600 (XLR8 G4/450) with not much problem, however it will start every time, and run perfect only in safe boot. In "normal," it will freeze in various points of progress bar. Lately, I am managing to log in, and got even into system preferences to check sound (basically only thing I am missing) but cannot stand if the thing doesn't run as it suppose to.
    Another problem is: 2 drives, original 4GB and IBM 18GB Ultrastar on bus 0 both mount. My 36GB LW Cheetah alone on bus 2, properly terminated never mounts, neither is seen by Disk Utility or TechTool.
    Runing, trying to, OS X from 18 GB Ultrastar, that is on that drive alone. Also installed on partitioned 4 GB with 9.2.2.
    Starts driving me definetely crazy. Appreciate any input, thanks aforehand.
    P.S. Did already startup, fonts thing to no avail, reset PRAM, but no CUDA.
    Pilgrim

Default Ah yes...

Always fun upgrading the old stuff , wish I had a nickel for every hour of spent time on a 7300, 7500, 8500 myself!

Make sure the memory is qualified, ie top notch stuff, dont use little sticks (they tend to be older).

What SCSI card are you using? If adaptec, throw it away... look for an ATTO card (may want to check classifieds here... hint hint).
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Default Hi rguising

Thanks for reply.
    That memory crossed my mind, older 512 Mb, 64 and 32 sticks never gave me a trouble. But there is a always first time. My card is Orangelink+ (overkill) 3 Firewires and two SCSI. Same thing, that, I got a years now and external CD-RW connected to it worked in OS X straight away. I believe I managed somehow to boot older TechTool. What is confusing me is, that I have yet to have a freeze in a safe boot. Never fails to start in "safe," and no problems. As I said if it was not for that missing sound I would keep on going. Web works, printer works (trusty LaserWriter IIg connected to ethernet router), do not need any colors, no ethernet problems, so I would definitely expect some troubles in safe boot. Then, of course is that LW Cheetah on separate bus, which I am unable to even see. Again, thanks for input.

You can try a SCSI-card which has genuine OSX support like the ATTO PSC PCI, some Initio and Advansys cards also have native OSX support, I think this will fix the issues if those are SCSI related.

And OSX is more picky when it comes to RAM, what I mean is your RAM may work fine in OS8/9 but as soon as you try OSX the Mac could crash on "supported Macs" I would look and check the installed RAM first.

I don't know how good the SCSI driver from Xpostfacto is working.
    Maybe you should ask at the Xpostfacto forums?

Regards

Nicolas
    Last edited by Nicolas; 04-25-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default Thanks

Nicolas.
    I had my suspicions about the RAM, perhaps because I am aware of OS X being really picky as far as RAM goes. About card. While not completely discounting it could be a culprit, as I said, even with OS X it works - firewire and the rest just about flawlessly in safe boot; as a matter of fact I am on it right now with Safari, while communicating with you, and keeps going on like this until I shut down. So I am leaning toward believing, that that buried dog is in those "few things," or a few, is what I hear but not believe, that are not loaded in Safe Boot. Got to get a word to XPostFacto anyway, if i'll be able to dig something else. Thanks, and regards
    Pilgrim

1. Rule everything could be the culprit
    2. Don't assume anything untill you checked it
    3. Move on from the easiest to check part to the complexe ones

Some drivers are not beeing loaded in save mode, I mean no 3rd party drivers etc. So it could be that the crashes only occure if the drivers are loaded.

U can check the RAM with Memtest on OSX a not so good but better than nothing tool in OS9 is Gauges Pro RAM test but I have to admit that Gauge Pro doesn't check the RAM that kindo deep Memtest does.

Double check SCSI!
    1. Termination (on U2W and up you should only use active termination)
    2. Termination Voltage (if it is beeing supplied to the bus)
    3. SCSI-IDs
    4. Cabling
    5. SCSI-Mode (You should set the Cheetah to SE-Mode if connected to the internal bus of the 9500)

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Default Hello Nicolas

Have been out of town, so now I got to do something here. Firstly, I agree that everything can be a culprit. That, whoever was, is around log enough will testify to. Somethimes even that "Murphy's Law" come in play.

Will definetely check that RAM, actually I alredy did and it pass with no problem. But it was done with that Gauge Pro and I agree that there are better utilities for that purpose. Memtest is something I did not even hear of. Of cause I am really green into OS X, even though with Macs for over 20 years. But OS X we basically talk Unix. And that is completely new to me. Never too late to learn something new.

As far as the termination goes on U2W, it is OK, active termination and all. Bought ribbon, terminator from Granite, never got any problem. I even change ID on the Cheetah, although same ID 0 should not be problem if it is on a different bus. Here I want to say, that the reason I believe the trouble is somewhere else is, my Cheetah is only drive connected to that card, bus, along with firewire CD-RW.

I could as well take it out, because on my internal bus i got two drives. On original 4GB is my 9.2.2 and on other one, 18GB IBM Ultraster is that Tiger 10.4, and no other OS. So I just don't see problem here, if OS X is not installed on drive that is on bus 2.

Will see what else I am getting into. Thaks for more hints and,

Regards, Pilgrim