Thread: Western Digital: VelociRapter 300GB, 10K SATA

Default Western Digital: VelociRapter 300GB, 10K SATA

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...59&language=en

The lastest from the WD Raptor line. It's a 2.5" format drive with one big heatsink for 3.5" applications.

Rick, you got some testing to do.

Default WoW

I like!!

Now a reason to replace my aging 74GB Raptors! Ill take 6 Rick!
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

I see one big issue coming up with those drives. Right off the bat, they made a 2.5 inch drive, then dropped it into a '3.5 form factor' heatsink (NOT!). Unfortunately, they didn't design it to line the connection up to be used in anything - the connectors are not in a standard 3.5 inch form factor location. We can't put one in anything that has a backplane attachment. That means they won't fit in a hotswap Burly, they won't work inside a MacPro. They will only work in a standalone configuration with loose/separate cabling.

Big problem.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Unfortunately, they didn't design it to line the connection up to be used in anything - the connectors are not in a standard 3.5 inch form factor location. We can't put one in anything that has a backplane attachment. That means they won't fit in a hotswap Burly, they won't work inside a MacPro.
    Way to rain to on the parade. I hadn't noticed that all. That is a big problem.

I was comparing it to 3.5" offerings on their site. Looks like the needed to have mounted in off-center and probably on thinner or recessed section of the heatsink.

Still isn't shipping. Maybe someone at WD will come to their sense before it ships.

Is is just me or.....

Does this thing run so hot it needs a heatsink? Or is that an upsell tactic to get folks to use a 2.5 in a 3.5 bay...instead of a "cheapy" adapter, which might look/feel like a ghetto hack, instead of cutting edge tech ? If it is a gimmick to make it look enterprise grade, they may be shooting themselves in the foot...because the next question will be:

Can I run this drive without the heatsink? Since it has a heatsink should I assume it will run too hot to use in something with limited cooling, like a laptop or a Mini?

if this baby is all that, and can run cool enough for laptops, it could be a huge market, even with reduced battery life.

For the record, I am really looking forward to better/bigger/faster 2.5s.....but not so much with a 3.5 form factor.
    Last edited by unclemac; 04-21-2008 at 11:07 PM.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Responding to Unc's post:

Yeah.

Rick

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I would have preffered an amen, but that'll do.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Matt, Amen!

There's a nice side-by-side photo on Hard-Mac:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-04-22/#8153

Really shows what Rick caught out of the gate. I guess that's why he's running the shop.

Here's a tidbit from the press release:

From the bloodlines of the WD Raptor, the most popular hard drive for high-performance enthusiasts who demand the ultimate SATA drive, the WD VelociRaptor hard drive is built with enterprise-class mechanics and packs 300 GB of storage capacity into a 2.5-inch enterprise form factor. The 2.5-inch WD VelociRaptor drive is enclosed in the IcePack™, a 3.5-inch mounting frame with a built-in heat sink -- a customization that fits the drive into a standard 3.5-inch system bay and keeps this powerful drive extra cool when installed in a high-performance desktop chassis.
    So that "high-performance enthusiasts", "enterprise-class mechanics", and "2.5" enterprise form factor" all in one sentence; followed by the bit about "extra cool" in a "high-performance desktop chassis".

Washington Post seems to have a few more bits of info. That heatsink they say drops the temps by about 5. Perhaps depending on the application using heatsink-less won't be too bad. But laptops and minis aren't exactly know for great heat dispersion.

Matt, maybe a rack-mounted server could use these. All our HP servers have "2.5 enterprise form factor" but they're SAS.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

From the way they have mounted it I would say that heatsink is there for looks and to make it fit a 3.5 enclosure. If it was there for heat they would have mounted the silver plate on top of the drive to be in contact with the heatsink to dissipate the heat

looks like they want to make one size drive and sell it for 2 target markets (2.5 and 3.5 inch) by the time it reaches version 2 they will have 'solved' the heat issue and certified it for laptops
    Damien,

From the way they have mounted it I would say that heatsink is there for looks and to make it fit a 3.5 enclosure. If it was there for heat they would have mounted the silver plate on top of the drive to be in contact with the heatsink to dissipate the heat
    You're probably right. The Wash. Post article I linked mention a 5 drop in temps with that heatsink. While not nothing, it isn't a whole of something.

At Damien:

Amen.

A little late, I read the news on this about a month ago. But it seems WD got a clue and came out with another verison of the HD with a new 3.5" backplane to match a standard 3.5" SATA drive. Guts are still a 2.5" HD mounted a big heatsink.

This link should take you to the new 3.5" (backplane-ready) version:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=495

Do any of you know if the Velociraptor 150 GB in either of its configurations will work in a G5 Quad?

Thanks,
    Stewart