Thread: Booting from a .dmg

Default Booting from a .dmg

I made a .dmg of a 10.4 install. How do I actually boot or install it on a drive.

You can restore a .dmg with the Restore feature in Disk Utility......I think. Been a while.

Other tools can do it too. NetRestore is a nice one, though it has been a version or two since I have used it. Don't be put off by the network info, works fine with local drives via TDM too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

The "Get Info" about the dmg says it's defaulted to DiskImageMounter.app. I can just use DU and not the DiskImageMounter.app or is this app a part of DU. I am positive the .dmg was made from Disk Utility. So trying Restore in DU first makes sense.

Default OK.. More help needed

The .dmg of my 10.4.3 Tiger install DVD....

The DU Restore does not seem to work unless I am doing something wrong.

Clicking the .dmg twice opens a screen exactly like a DVD installer. Double click on the black OSX installer icon -- it pops up a screen (never seen it) but it only gives one option which is to click restart to begin. But that always boots back to my main StartUp Drive.

It seems or looks like I am really close to having this work....

Thoughts, tips, tricks.....

Randy,

I don't think you can actually boot from a disc image per se. If you're looking for a faster install, then what people seem to do is make a 'clone' or restore the DVD or DVD image to a real partition/HD. That way instead of booting from the DVD, you're booting from a HD volume -- and those are way faster than DVDs.

Mac OS X installs of the operating system (and not just parts or extras) seem to require booting from the version of the OS on the disc -- that's probably why people clone those to HDs to speed up the installs of the OS.

I've thought about doing this, but just never got around to.

Side note 1: You can use a disc image with OS 9 on it for Classic; you can't boot from it. But Classic is more than happy to use it and automatically open if you set up the preferences to that mounted disc images.

Side note 2: Been thinking myself not of the OS itself, but at least making disc images of some of my installers that are just beastly and time consuming to speed up the installs.

eric

Booting is obviously the wrong term. A .dmg to speed up installing - yes your right.

What I want to do is right after a fresh install and adding the few applications I need or use regularly such as Adobe for .pdf's, AppleWorks, iLife apps, etc. Make a .dmg of it (and yes store on a Hard drive) a DVD would be just to move the .dmg from machine to machine is needed.

I don't recall how the 10.4.3 install .dmg was done or creating other than in Disk Utility some way a while back. Last week I made a .dmg of my entire 10.4.10 system. I could trey to Restore it to an empty partition.

Every year about this time I do a spring cleaning of my drives/partitions and how they all look for their needs. I also go a good cleaning of the internal guts ... blowing tons of dust out.

So every time I say ...... damn if I had that .dmg I was going to make and learn to use it would speed this installing up.

I don't even use 9 any longer.

What I want to do is right after a fresh install and adding the few applications I need or use regularly such as Adobe for .pdf's, AppleWorks, iLife apps, etc. Make a .dmg of it (and yes store on a Hard drive) a DVD would be just to move the .dmg from machine to machine is needed.
    O.k. Now I understand. This is basically what I want to do with the Leopard install on my MBP. I'm still missing a few things, but after that the HD will be cloned to a dmg.

So I take it what you want to know is how to 'restore' the disc image to a volume. If that's right, then as unclemac said, you can use Disk Utility to do so. One way is to boot off a OS install disk and launch Disk Utility, go to 'restore' tab and restore the image to mounted volume.

I've had problem with Disk Utility's Restore at some point in 10.4 (not while booting from the DVD but when using it from the boot volume). So I can't vouch that it will work.

Another option is to set up a First Aid/Emergency/Restore partition on say a FW HD. Install the OS on it and keep it lean, also stick on your favorite utilities, be it Disk Warrior, Super Duper!, whatever. You can then boot from the FW HD, and use whatever you've got that can restore the image -- be it Disk Utility, Super Duper! This is what I do, since I always have a handy FW HD setup to check HDs as well as perform these kinds of restores.

Company but I'll be back this afternoon. Thanks guys.

Point at your .dmg and away you go.

Should be fast too. At least it is with NetRestore. You can TDM a clean OS (say...3-4GB) in 10-15 minutes from a .dmg to booting up.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin