Thread: internal sata upgrade question

Default internal sata upgrade question

Hello all,

been awhile since i've been around but i've got a question.

my plan is this, i'm working towards the process of ripping my dvd collection to something i can network and play on my hi def setup. i'm currently thinking appletv but waiting for it to mature a bit more (and the bank account). my current rig is a G5 2.0 (last model before dual core). basically stock except for upgraded ram and a GeForce 7800gt video card. i'm envisioning 2 drives in the stock locations for OS/apps/user and backup. then adding something like the Sonnet G5 jam plus 2 1T drives for iphoto/itunes storage and backup. not wanting a gaggle of external boxes.

my question is this, looking for sata pci cards and understand the diff between the 1.5 and 3.0 transfer rate cards. I did however see this card over at granite digital....

http://www.granitedigital.com/index....ROD&ProdID=266

anybody had experience with it? seems like a good fit, got my 2 internals and 1 external just in case. plus not much more than the 1.5 rate cards.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

kj

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I don't see anything about support for port multiplication....

for a movie collection you will want expandability and with PM support a 4 port card will handle 20 drives. without PM support a 4 port card will handle 4 drives

The Lycom card here at the store does PM, is SATA300 and 30$ cheaper than the granite offering
    Damien,

Most important question is whether you have a 4 RAM slot G5 or an 8 RAM slot G5. 4 RAM slot G5s have 33 MHz PCI slots, 8 RAM slot G5s have 100 and 133 MHz PCI-X slots. The reason that is important is that the SIlicon Image 3124 chipset SATA host cards do not work well on PCI Macs. They are great on PCI-X Macs.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

By the way, not sure if we can say there is an actual difference in transfer speeds between SATAI and SATAII buses. I say that because faster bus speed doesn't necessarily equal faster drive performance.

It is true that these days there is no reason to buy an older SATAI host card. But the reason it is important that you get a current SATAII card is it will work with most current SATAII specification drives.

Most of the differences between SATAI and SATAII have to do with feature sets and not with speed. No drive made, whether SATAI or SATAII, is mechanically faster than a SATAI bus. Any time you see someone marketing a host card or drive as "faster - 3Gb/sec SATAII Spec" they are speaking pure marketing hype. There isn't any way to attach drives that will give you 3Gb/sec.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin