Thread: Have a PM 8 core in my future and have a few migration questions...

Default Have a PM 8 core in my future and have a few migration questions...

My water cooled G5 is having serious cooling issues, (no leaks yet, but amazing how fast the fans can go) and I have a coupe migration questions. In the G5 I'm running a SeriTek/152 for my boot Raptor and a Sonnet Tempo SATA x4i for my 'cuda data drives. My understanding is the cudas and Raptor are plug and play in the new PM, no host card needed, correct? For connecting an external SATA drive I will need an external host card like the Fasta 2e (I have a total of 5 SATA drives) and SATA drive enclosure. Will I need anything else?
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

Default Sounds like you are on the right track

you will need a PCI-Express SATA card, as sold in the Gurus store (for my money, and I have no vested interest here) I would buy a Port Multiplier SATA PCI-E card (for the future).

now just a word of warning, DO not use the system drive from your G5 as the system drive for the Mac Pro... bad mo-jo.

you should rely on the Mac Pro Leopard install, and re-install any applications you need. for pure data, it doesnt matter of course... maybe you know this tho.
    MacBook Pro Uni 2.4GHz with express card slot

iMac G5

Confused G5 Spilled it guts today, literally...

It was cycling off after around three minutes so I shut it off and walked away last night. Today when I was setting up the MBP I noticed the coolant had leaked out the back of the case. I'm sure I will get the Apple run around on this one

Just to confirm, the internal bays in the new PM are plug and play for SATA. I just need the PCI-Express SATA card for the externals, correct?
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

Cool Update on my PM Quad migration...

I went with a Lycom 4 Port PCIe SATAII Host Card in slot 3 (PCI Express 1.1) since the card specs indicated only PCI Express 1.0 support. Drives are mounted in a MacGurus Burly SATA Enclosure Kit. Two of the drives went internal to the PM Quad. Apple PM disk mounting trays are slick, four screws, slide them in and your good to go. No cables! Internal mounted drives are bootable!

Because my G5 did an unplanned departure I was a bit concerned about how I was going to load everything from back up. (Actually had two backups on disk, one on tape). Tried the Apple Migration Assistant and it worked great. You can migrate from another system disk internal to the new machine. Once I got the old G5 system disk mounted it only took around 90 minutes to load everything to the Quad Core. Never had to touch the backups. To date every program has worked. Really slick tool. Only gottcha was user names, you can't migrate to the same name. My old user name on the G5 was Gerald and I had to make it Gerald_2 for the migration to run. Something to think about when you originally boot your next new machine. Also installed Fusion with XP and it works great. In general, it has been a pretty painless and fast migration.
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

Thumbs up Glad to hear it!

Nice machine, eh? Love the drive trays too.

Migration assist is very handy, and has worked well for me over the last year or so. Not always perfect, but painless, and easy to undo - wipe the drive and start over. Nothing wasted but a little time.

Any complaints or disappointments?

What fate awaits the G5 case?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default After a couple weeks things are running great.

No issues. internal hardware layout is great. THey have come a long way from the old 8500s! Super quiet. The Burly external is the only fan I hear. I run VMware with XP and it boots to the Windows desktop in 18 seconds! Been slowly upgrading some of the older G5 drivers when I use them but to date everything has worked.
    GT

PowerMac 2.8 Intel Quad
    Intel MBP

Talking

Merc:

What kind of PM 8 core did you buy? I'll to get one next month even though my liquid cooled quad hasn't spilled its guts yet.

The plan is to get the 3.0GHz model (harpertown X5472 chip) instead of the fastest 3.2 offered. The later is hotter (150 vs.120 watts) yet it uses the same heat sink as the 2.8GHz 80 watt model. I can imagine the fans humming extra fast just to take away excess heat for the minor gain in speed. You say yours is super quiet. Hope mine will be too.

Don't plan to use migration assistant - replace the stock SATA with better ones, wipe each anyway, and install everything fresh.

Your XP boots from VM in 18 sec? Wow, I am impressed.

marrand