Thread: Sorta New to Mac

Default Sorta New to Mac

I've been using macs professionally for years but dont own one...yet. Really I prefer pc, mostly because I prefer Photoshop on a pc...yeah, call me crazy. Anyway, some questions...because Im getting ready to get an iMac on which I will run XP....

How much difference will i really see betwn the 2.0 and 2.8 in the new imacs? I'll put in 4gb ram.

Anyone with experience, good and bad, running windows natively?

thanks!

Howdy and welcome aboard.

Yer crazy.

Not quite sure what to tell you.......the hardware is essentially the same these days, so if you were buying a Dell or an HP, what would you expect the difference of 2.0 vs. 2.8? Same thing, use the same gauge.

First things first: rumor has it that new iMacs may be only weeks away, so unless you are in a real hurry, you might consider holding off for a few weeks to see what shakes out. Buying an iMac is like buying a laptop; essentially un-upgradeable, so important to get the right machine (usually the fastest you can justify) to get the maximum life out of it. Should new ones pop with a better monitor, better video card, or just a better/smaller/cooller CPU setup, probably worth waiting for. If you don't like the new ones, you will likely have a short window to buy the now current model at a close out discount to clear stock.

As for running XP, native (via bootcamp) is great overall. No penalties that I am aware of, though I can't verify that all 4 GB of RAM is addressed in XP. I would assume so, but can't testify to that fact. Have you seen the reviews? XP runs great on current Macs. A dozen folks running XP on intel Macs at work, no issues. Not using CS suite via XP though, so can't confirm that for you. Mostly boring admin type stuff.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Figures

Ugh...theres always something just around the corner...thanks for the heads up!!!...i think I'll hold off a bit and see what comes along... though Ive been looking at refurb machines.

Thanks again!