Thread: G4 stuck in install

Default G4 stuck in install

I was running OS 10.3 Panther and tried installing 10.4 Tiger made it to the 3rd disc and it was defective. Now it wont stop the install so I can install new 10.4.10 I purchased. I just want to start over

Welcome Stan!

It took a couple of tries to get Tiger installed on my Pismo. I don't know that I'd go past 10.4.9 on older hardware. 10.4.10 broke a lot of things, and they're still trying to fix them.

I still have 10.3.9 on my G4 due to hardware/software limitations, but it is quite happy.

I have 10.4.9 on my B&W too. It seems OK, but I haven't messed with it much lately.

OK, it could be messy, but you should be able to simply power off.

Tip: the first disk (with CDs) is the full core OS. After that, the second and third disks are extra software (like iTunes), and printer drivers. So, you can do a core install with only the first disk.

Because of this, I would expect a full, bootable, healthy OS on the box; the only damaged or malfunctioning part would be if it hung half way through one of the software packages or print drivers.

When you run the installer, click on customize, and deselect anything beyond what is required. This will only require the first CD. As I recall, disk #2 is software, and disk #3 is printer drivers.

Once you have the core OS installed, you can always insert the first CD - not boot to it - and still installe the other software and drivers. If you do this way, I expect you will get an error with the bad disk, but will be able to kill the installer.....different than the istaller script that is run during a full install.

I am a fan of stopping at 10.4.9 too generally, unless you have something missing or broken there. If you do go beyond, I would keep going to 10.4.11. No reason I am aware of to stop at 10.4.10.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the advice. I'll try power up with first disc and see if I get other options. Not very hopeful though. Every time I've powered up it goes right back to where it left off asking to insert the 3rd disc and not letting me do anything else but watch the items installing. I know all that's on the stupid disc is foreign languages!@#$%^&*( Can I just run a magnet over the HD??????

Turn off the foreign language and printer installs. Maybe try just the basic installation and skip that.

R
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Rick said it better than me.

How about forcing a reboot while holding down the C key? Should boot to the optical drive (if you have install disk #1 in the drive), and you can run Disk Utility to erase the drive and try again.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

How about forcing a reboot while holding down the C key? Should boot to the optical drive (if you have install disk #1 in the drive), and you can run Disk Utility to erase the drive and try again.
    Sounds great. It really should work. Hold the C key down a lo...o...o..ng time.

I'm dumb how would I go about forcing a reboot?

I should be clearer...

Get your startup install disk #1 and put in the tray.
    Restart or turn the computer on while holding the "C" key down.

This should force your computer to boot from the CD. Then use Disk Utility on the CD to erase the drive.
    Last edited by rwm; 01-31-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: clarify

Sometimes it helps to do an Open Firmware reset, and then hold down the C key on the restart.

To do an OF reset hold down command+option+O+F on startup. When you see the beige screen with the command line prompt:

Type reset-nvram then hit return.

Then type set-defaults then hit return again.

Next is reset-all, and then return.

The Mac will now restart so hold down the C key, and keep holding it down until it boots from the optical disk. It may take a while like Randy mentioned.

When you get to the installer screen instead of running the installer go to the installer menu, select Open Disk Utility, and initialize the drive. If it's an older drive I would write zeroes to it (initialization options). This could take a while as well depending on the size of the drive, but it will let you know if the drive has issues. Then try the installer again.

Just to add a little trivial detail.....

Hold the C key until you see the apple logo on the gray screen. The logo loads when a valid OS has been found, and at that point the box is booting to the OS it found.

Holding the C after that is wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post

Holding the C after that is wishful thinking.
    LOL

Yes once the OS is loading all bets are off.

I've run into a few stubborn cases, but they were usually due to a questionable drive.

Thank you every one. It's ALIVE!!!!!! You people rock!

Thumbs up Cool!

Thanks for the update!