Thread: Nubus Mac connect to Cinema Display?

Default Nubus Mac connect to Cinema Display?

Hello folks,

I became aware of this place after purchasing some macgurus gear and you were very helpful during a troubleshooting phase. I feel a little guilty for coming back having not hung out here for so long, but hopefully my problem may shed light on someone else's similar situation.

Anyhoo, I no longer have the space to use anything but a cinema display. I want to connect the (dvi) cinema display to my old nubus mac. I'm at a loss as to how. Any suggestions?

I own a Matrox device that allows you to connect to cinema displays to your macbook (for whatever that's worth.)

This could be a tall order since I know of no NuBus video with a DVI output let alone a DB25 to ADC adaptor.

A quick search found this, but that plus a DVI-ADC adapter is much more $ than your average LCD display that has VGA built-in, and a DB25 to VGA adapter.

Just how bad do you wanna use that Cinema Display on that NuBus Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    This could be a tall order since I know of no NuBus video with a DVI output let alone a DB25 to ADC adaptor.

A quick search found this, but that plus a DVI-ADC adapter is much more $ than your average LCD display that has VGA built-in, and a DB25 to VGA adapter.

Just how bad do you wanna use that Cinema Display on that NuBus Mac?
    svideo.com server seems to be down... I was hoping that I could find some adapter for around 50-75 bucks.

Default Just thinking out loud...

1. Nubus Macs Video subsystems are, also if you do have a videocard like a VillageTronic 340 or the a Thunder3 SLOOOOOW.

2. Not able running 1920x1200 nativly.

3. The CD will not look as "crispy" as it will when connected thru DVI (at least kindo blury).

3. If you are running other resolutions than 1920x1200 the display will get blury as he** due to interpolation.

In my opinion it's like trying to pull a big trailer with a 37HP VW beetle.
    Not a good idea...

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Quote Originally Posted by uraniumwilly View Post
    svideo.com server seems to be down... I was hoping that I could find some adapter for around 50-75 bucks.
    Well that VGA-DVI box I linked to was listed at $299.

Nicolas raises some good points too on the resolution, and quality.

I think you'd be better off picking up a cheap 17-19" LCD, and DB25-VGA adapter if you really need a flat-panel display.

Long time ago I had a couple of Power Computing Power120 NuBus machines. Don't think they even had Cinema Displays then. I was connecting via the video card in the PDS slot (Processor Direct Slot) to a 25" CRT. Later when I needed that PDS slot for something else (a faster CPU card), I used a Thunder IV card in one of the NuBus slots. k

Thanks everyone. This is helpful. I didn't know I could, through the adapter hook up to a vga LCD. I think I might be able to buy a very small one to fit in my space.

FYI it's for a shrunken (post marriage) recording studio that runs Logic 8 as well as an old Nuverb (nubus) and old Sounddiver.

Thanks again.