Thread: Minimum Operating Temp

Default Minimum Operating Temp

Hi Gurus,
    Is there a minimum operating temp for g4 to start up? I left my computer in the car and I need to blow dry the computer before booting.
    Thanks - Gerry

Gerry,

I looked up the specs on my QS G4 and it sez:

Environmental requirements
    Operating temperature: 50 to 95F (10 to 35C)
    Storage temperature: -40 to 116F (-40 to 47C)
    Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
    k

Cool, I never thought it wont start when its very cold at 38 deg F. I thought that computers works well in cold temp. What causes this to happen? I know its beyond the operating limits but what makes it not to boot up? Interesting. Thanks - Gerry

It will boot up Gerry. Apple just does not want you to do so until the temp inside the computer has reached 50F in all locations to eliminate any possibility of condensation forming on any of the electronics. If I recall correctly, it was my MDD that was delivered in cold weather. Unpacked it, opened the side door and waited a day before hooking it up and starting. Could not find any condensation after a day. Touched everything I could to be sure. k

Quote Originally Posted by kaye View Post
    It will boot up Gerry. Apple just does not want you to do so until the temp inside the computer has reached 50F in all locations to eliminate any possibility of condensation forming on any of the electronics. If I recall correctly, it was my MDD that was delivered in cold weather. Unpacked it, opened the side door and waited a day before hooking it up and starting. Could not find any condensation after a day. Touched everything I could to be sure. k
    Thanks Kaye,
    Absolutely right. The computer is in the car and waited until the temperature reached close to 50deg, humidity at 42% and outside temp was 40deg, humidity at 53% - according to RadioShack.
    So here it goes to people installing a car computer, so then if its freezing outside, computers will work unless it reached its normal operating temp.
    Gerry

speaking of condensation and temps............

Just installed a Takagi tankless water heater over the weekend. So what does this have to do with computers and temps you ask?

Well, the thing is rated down well below freezing, and, by it's nature could obviously get wet. The thing is high tech with a fully load board that looks like it is a laptop mother board. While tweaking the temp via some dip switches on the board (just like clocking a CPU!) I noticed that the entire board is covered in a thick, pliable clear plastic!

What a great idea! Water proof, condensation proof, dust proof, insulated from static, and might even help to protect from severe temp swings. OK, might not work for user modifiable boards, but why not for laptops?

Probably cost a buck to dip the thing, but how about a spill and freeze resistant laptop? I would gladly pay extra for it.

If I knew how, I would apply for a patent.....

Q: How do you know you are a geek?

A: When your water heater has more computing power than your DVD player.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Just confusing myself here. Thinking about those cop cars that have computers inside, I believe they boot up on any temperature. Some new technology found on this site is just amazing. Now I have to install a heating blanket around the computer for winter after I installed tons of cooling fan last summer.
    Uncle, I think Takagi is Japanese made, must be high tech.
    Gerry