Thread: How to tell if the up grade is TOO much?

Lightbulb How to tell if the up grade is TOO much?

after seemingly crippling a powersupply with upgades- replacing the 200 W power supply, the question comes to mind:
    to upgrade a G4-AGP 450, with a 236 w power supply, how do I add the upgrade parts watt value & what does that equate to in stable power service? Is 236 W enough?

2 gigs of ram
    Powerlogic 1.6 ghz
    258 ram video card
    sata pci card
    USB devices
    2 160 Hard drives

I see people running more than this and wonder if 236 W is enough, or are they using stock power, and I'm just woringing for nothing.
    G5 2x1.8 8gig, osx5.8 / G4 sawtooth, 1.6ghz, 2 gig

My DA has the stock supply (338 watts), and does fine with the Giga dual 1.6, GeForce4Ti, Digi001, SeriTek 1V2E2, Belkin USB/FW, 4 drives including the optical, internal USB/FW hub, and 4 fans.

I leave it on pretty much 24/7 though to avoid the big draw on startup as much as possible. The only time it gets shut down is if I'll be away for more than a day or for cleaning every couple months at the least.

IMHO if you're gonna upgrade the supply you should go a bit on the overkill side.

what makes you think you crippled the psu. If it
    was a beige g3 then it would be atleast 9 years old if not older . Age would more
    likely be the crippling factor

Wink A what?

>"to upgrade a G4-AGP 450, with a 236 w power supply, how do I add the upgrade parts watt value & what does that equate to in stable power service? Is 236 W enough?"<

I am building up a G4 APG - -- am concerned about the 236 w ps- to go with it, or replace it pre-emptively with something larger.

----
    ps the Beige tower that I still have, I only run os9 on it, but has 1gighz cpu, maxed out ram, 4 harddrives, 6 fans added, zip-, cd-r & even a floppy drive, 3 pci cards. I'm not even sure what the power supply watt is.

I havent had any problems from it.

Karl

Thumbs up Plelgerism? found this answer on another forum...

ATX PSU in a Sawtooth
    Submitted by Hawaii Cruiser on January 10, 2008 - 11:50pm.
    See here:
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/A...X_case_pg2.htm

And here:
    http://www.outofspec.com/frankenmac/wire.shtml

Looks like the Sawtooth, Yikes!, and B&W all had the same pinouts. IIRC, the B&W PSU was 220w. I put a 350w ATX PSU in my B&W. Some people say you just need to snip the gray line, which I tried and it didn't work, so I did the taps on the two lines described in the first link above and it worked. You'll need a 20 pin connector on the ATX PSU--the older version. The newer versions have 22 and 24 pin connectors. You have to make sure the fans are in the right place on the PSU to fit in the G4 tower too. 500w would certainly be overkill. Get a cheaper one. A used one maybe. Lots of PCers upgrade their comps and need more powerful PSU's, so there's lots of used 350w PSU's for sale. You might need a molex Y extender to add another power connector since a lot of the ATX's have fewer molex power connectors (for hard drives, etc.) than the G4 towers.

Now thats some good info to have on file.

And, my old Sawtooth/PSU thread is on file here, too:

http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20084

Can't say that I miss the Sawtooth much, but I DID like having upgrade capabilities in an advertised-upgradeable machine, unlike my "old" Mac Pro....