Thread: Question: run X10.5 on sawtooth?

Cool Question: run X10.5 on sawtooth?

Hello again,

I am running an upgraded G4-400, now 1.6ghz, 2 meg ram, (looking for vid card to replace nVida -pc/burned for mac). and osx 10.4.10

I have serious doubts about upgrading the OS any further at all, but have heard some folks have been running osx10.5,

1. is there any real benifit to the x5 upgrade considering the physical limitations of the buss and such of the G4?
    2. would x5 run in a stable mannor?

thanks for the input and ideas,
    Karl
    G5 2x1.8 8gig, osx5.8 / G4 sawtooth, 1.6ghz, 2 gig

stick with Tiger on that machine
    Tom Babb

Cool thats what I think, but

Quote Originally Posted by babbkutz View Post
    stick with Tiger on that machine
    Thanks, thats what I thought, but so many people are claiming to be running X5 on less that this machine.
    What I thought is that the stabiliy of programs (photoshop, final cut express) may be compromised. So even if the OSX5 installs and functions, it has by fact of advanced design over the older machine, not able to function as fully as designed.

Hmm,
    Now I'm just curious about the stability of the programs run on it, and come to think of it, how much stress does it put on those old (like this one) 100 mhz buss machines?

I am running osx 10.4.10 / had 4.11 upgrade but had issues- faulty P.s. and pc reburned video card. Any one know a good reason NOT to go back to 4.11?

Thanks
    Karl
    G5 2x1.8 8gig, osx5.8 / G4 sawtooth, 1.6ghz, 2 gig

Not quite a sawtooth, but my updated DA is running 10.5.1 very well. Some eye candie is not perfect, but the Finder and some other things are much nicer so I think it is a positive upgrade. Pretty sure this is the last OS we will put on any PPCs except maybe the G5s.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin