Thread: ISO Image program

Default ISO Image program

Hi everyone

I was a PC user forever and just bought a new macbook. I love the heck out of it but am having a really hard time finding something to replace Photoshop. I really don't want to spend another $750 to get the program when I really don't use it to its full potential. I have Aperture (which now i wish I hadn't spend the $300 on as it doesn't do what I need), iWeb and iPhoto, but I can't seem to figure out an easy way to do what I need. Here's what I do, these are pretty basic things:

If you go to http://familycorner.com you will see a series of cover page type images that rotate through a player. i create those images in Photoshop. I create a new canvas at a specific pixel size, then open an image and position it onto the canvas. I then create layers of text and save it as a jpg.

I also use Photoshop for adjusting contrast, sharpening and resizing images.

That's all I really need.

Anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive mac friendly programs that will accomplish these tasks?

Thanks in advance!

Amanda
    FamilyCorner.com

Just a thought, if you already own Photoshop for Windows, contact Adobe. A little unpublished secret, but Adobe does allow cross-grading -- moving from one platform to another. Depending on what's going on, usually the cost of shipping the disc.

One thing then to consider is to do a crossgrade + upgrade to CS3. The latest version of CS3 is universal binary, so need to slow things down passing it through Rosetta.

Costs a bit more than some apps out there I'm sure, but certainly less than buying it outright.

The trick with some of these free is apps is layers. If you don't need to (professional) color management in Photoshop (full), have you considered Photoshop Elements? Doesn't have quite the pain on the wallet, and is pretty robust -- not to mentioned you'll feel a lot a home if you're used to Photoshop. Development of PS Elements for the Mac has historically lagged the PC version -- witness PS v6 for Windows, v4 for the Mac. Might want to do a bit of research, if memory serves Adobe is supposed to update (finally)
    the Mac version soon.

Hi eric

Thanks for that, unfortunately that's not really an option for me. The version of PS is on a PC that I bought from a friend several years ago. It already had PS on it and they didn't have the original disk. Therefore I don't have any proof of purchase

O.k. found it:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09...ents/index.php

Adobe plans PS Elements v6 for the Mac in early 2008 for what it's worth.

I have Windows the PS Elements v2 for Windows on the Boot Camp partition, yep it's got layers all the way back then. (It was free with a camera, so I installed it so I could see images in a decent program in Windows -- I don't want to spend more money than I have to on the Windows side. :-))

Since I'm really used to the PS workflow, I'd personally stay within the PS family and workflow, particularly if you don't need the color management in the full version.

Adobe's advertising the v4 version for PS Elements for the Mac for $80, I see it's a bit less from Amazon.

FYI if you buy from Adobe, I'm pretty sure they have a 30 day 'grace' period, in that if you hate the application you can ask for your money back. Verify that though with the store.

How about:

Gimp
    SeaShore
    PhotoComplete
    Compositor

PhotoEdit

There may be others out there too.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thank you very much! Elements 4.0 did the trick I had some problems with it when I first tried using it, locked me up a few times, however, I found the fix (needed to delete the preferences) and now it's working great!

Thanks again