Thread: How Hot Should a Dual 1GHz Quicksilver Run?

Default How Hot Should a Dual 1GHz Quicksilver Run?

I notice that the heatsink is hot-to-the-touch about 60 seconds after I turn it on. My 800MHz QS runs cool all the time <AFAICT> If it is normal why does it get so hot? -- Matt

That sounds a little warmer than you would like. But they can get warm... better a hot heatsink than chip. You should be able to touch it but it'll be warm. Lets see what others think. This Google help??
    Last edited by rwm; 11-28-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: clarify

I haven't had the chance to really check it out as it will only run for about a minute or two before it freezes and demands a restart. It wasn't too hot to touch, but it was pretty warm. i guess I noticed it because the 800Mhz was always cool. -- Matt

Maybe someone had his hands on the Vcore PLL and its not a dual 1GHz just an overclocked 800 or something?

After all the writings of you on the CPU card and due to the fact it is also getting really hot sorry for saying it it sounds like someone tricked you on that CPU

As far as I know the CPU core can go up to 85 to 105C (depends on which G4 is getting used). But the heatsink (also on my dual 1GHZ MDD) was 48C max.
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

I gots to agree. But I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Maybe someone had his hands on the Vcore PLL and its not a dual 1GHz just an overclocked 800 or something?

The System Profiler reports that it is has two 1Ghz processors. Would an overclocked 800 do that? It has a serial number as well. Can that be checked out? -- Matt

Type the serial number in Google.

Quote Originally Posted by videomatt View Post
    The System Profiler reports that it is has two 1Ghz processors. Would an overclocked 800 do that? It has a serial number as well. Can that be checked out? -- Matt
    Yep, it does because there is an Dual 1GHz profile cuz Apple sold one
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!