Thread: Did I Fry My Hard Disk?

Default Did I Fry My Hard Disk?

I was moving an ATA hard drive from one G4 Powermac to another when somewhere along the way it seems to have quit. I was trying to take it from one powermac where it was the one and only h/d and employ it as a second drive in another powermac. At one point both drives showed up in the finder on the recipient computer. While checking out another problem I took out the drive again. Since then it wont even spin-up. I may have touched the naked drive's circuit board without a static grounding strap. Also, I was installing the drive in complete ignorance of its status as master/slave device, so the device jumpers may have been incorrectly set. It's an IBM Deskstar 40gb ATA/IDE, model: IC35L040AVVA07-0 that came from Apple with my 800MHz Quicksilver 2002. It has very low use (hours). -- Matt

seems unlikely you fried it but if it isn't spinning the motor may have given up the ghost.

A tragic death, and so young too. It was old technology, but this drive had very few hours. Maybe I tweaked the circuit board when pulling off the power plug, it was extremely hard to remove. I don't really need anything that's on this drive, but I should ask: Any chance it could be repaired or the data salvaged at a reasonable cost? -- Matt

Hard drives are typically very robust. If you watched the stuff we put them through here in the lab as we test and set aside and pull out of dusty drawers after a couple years, you would be a lot less worried about the very casual and minor abuse you might have put yours through.

On the other hand... coincidence rules with computers. As soon as you touch something it is as likely as not to cause an incipient failure to occur. We have heard, in person and through talking with other support techs on a regular basis the user who says: "I installed your RAM (or whatever) and it made my hard drive or video card, speaker, USB bus yada or yada, fail." This is reality. What can fail will, and usually right after you touched it. And most of the time the actual touch had nothing to do with the failure other than to shake lose right then what was going to fail soon anyway.

All you can so is test the drive on a known good bus with the correct jumper settings for the task. Jumper settings being wrong will not break a drive. It will only make the bus confused and unable to mount the drive properly. If touching a circuit board on a drive would kill them, then I would have killed a gazzillion drives. Never have I had a problem that way. Mind you, I try to be careful not to walk around building up static electricity then touch bare electronics... but I don't go to extraordinary measures either, and we carry bare drives around in stacks every day between the Mac and the PC lab. Literally.

I just don't think that was the cause of the problem.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

I believe they were referred to as the Deathstar. I have one from my QS a 40 GB IBM. It still runs fine but on the hot side. It has bounced between my DA and QS without issues. Generally drives rarely fail.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

get your master slave settings right and try again if it still won't spin put it in the freezer for a short time (10-15 minutes) keeping it dry and then try.

There is no professional data recovery available that would be worth the cost as that is a very expensive job
    Damien,