Thread: Start from scratch with old iMac?

Default Start from scratch with old iMac?

How do I make my Indigo iMac into a 'blank canvass'?

It had 10.4.10 on it when I bought it (used), but I wanted to create three partitions - OS 9, OS X and DATA. I used my 10.3.6 install CD to create partitions, and have tried to install OS X onto a partition - no luck.

It seems to install, but hangs during booting to OS X, and won't boot to an OS 9 CD at all. I have just tried installing 10.2 and it installs OK, but still hangs on booting.

I zapped the P-RAM and took the battery out for an hour, before trying 10.2.

Is there a way to start from scratch with these boxes? I have a friend with a G4 in a similar state. He's OK in OS X, but can't boot to an OS 9 CD.

HELP!!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Well can we get a mhz rating on that iMac and maybe a model #? That would help us figure out which iMac it is. (There were so many..)

How big is your first partition? Some iMacs required you to make your 1st partition 8gb or less and required you to boot from that and only that partition...
    Damien,

Confused

Hi,

It's a G3 500MHz, with 20 GB HDD, slot-load CD-RW, 2xF/W ports, VGA port on the back, 2x headphone jacks on the front.

I was using a 7 GB first partition, but when I got it it was booting into 10.4.10 from the 20 GB HDD as one partition.

At the moment it boots from an OS X CD, and appears to install the OS OK. When I then try to boot from the HDD, it hangs during the early stages of booting into OS X, showing a kernel panic, and saying something like "there is no driver available for this model".

As for OS 9, it won't even boot from a CD. I've tried an external DVD drive, but nothing doing.

Low End Mac has this to say about that model

Non-Apple upgrades and peripherals (such as unsupported USB devices, replacement drives, and third-party memory) may cause problems when installing or booting into Mac OS X.

Didn't you say you had a USB/FW DVD drive? Worth a shot anyway
    Damien,

The later imac that you have should be just fine with the larger partition.....it is the earlier slot loaders that cannot boot any flavor of OS 10 from more than 8GB.

Hmmm....

Changed the HD? If so, it has to be jumped to Master to boot. You can install OS 10 to a drive set to Cable Select, but it won't boot.

How about firmware? If it needs an update and hasn't had it, OS 10 can be wonky. Have to update firmware from OS 9, which has to booted from the internal drive.

If you format the drive while booted to the OS 10 CD/DVD, are you selecting HFS+ and checking the box to install the OS9 drivers?

It is acting like you don't have a full retail OS install, and there is something missing from the OS. The gray, model specific OEM disks that come with new Macs are not complete OSes; they are missing some of the important bits required by different hardware (kext files, video drivers, etc.), so they will not work on other hardware.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Thanks for the replies.

All my install disks have worked fine on other machines (I've tried 10.2.x and 10.3.x). I'm not using 'grey' machine-specific ones. Yes, I'm checking the OS 9 drivers box, and using HFS+ (they come up as defaults, I think).

Firmware might be worth looking at. I didn't check the machine's firmware when I got it, as thought OS X simply wouldn't install if a firmware upgrade was needed, and it was running 10.4.10. I suppose it may depend how 10.4.10 came to be on the machine in the first place - I've only seen 10.4.x installers on DVD, and this iMac only has a CD-RW drive. Hmm...

I now have to figure out a way to boot into OS 9!?

Finally got this thing working! It wasn't firmware - System Profiler says the boot ROM is 4.1.9f1.

I persuaded it to boot from an external DVD drive, using a 10.4.6 disc. I then installed OS X, followed by OS 9.2 (from a Mac Mini DVD!) and all seems well.

It wouldn't boot from a generic OS 9 CD, but will boot from the OS 9 partition.

I am still puzzled, but slightly wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfrog View Post
    It wouldn't boot from a generic OS 9 CD,
    was that a 9.1 CD? That Mac could not use 9.0
    Damien,

Good point about 9.1. And yes, AFAIK, 9.2 is totally portable; any disks to any machine (that can run 9.2).

Glad to see you got it running. Wonder what the catch was for OS 10.4?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin