Thread: "Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk"

Default "Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk"

Disk Utility produces the message "Verify volume failed with error Could not unmount disk".

The volume in question is a backup system volume on my internal Maxtor audio recording drive. The G5 is booted from it's normal Raptor boot drive.

I discovered this when trying to run DW4 from the Raptor. The other volume on the Maxtor is no problem, it unmounts fine.

Since I don't have my DW CD handy to boot from, I booted from a FW drive instead and ran DW from there; both DW and Disk Utility were then able to unmount the volume. DW was able to rebuild the directory.

I ran Applejack on the Maxtor volume.

If I boot from the Maxtor volume then DU is able to verify the boot volume.

I can't think why DW determines that "The disk is still in use..." when booted from the Raptor but not from the FW Backup. Same with DU.

I have 2 User accounts and neither has any Login Items in System Pref's.

Any ideas?
    "illegitimis non carborundum"

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Are you sharing this drive when booted from the raptor?

Is this drive your users drive when booted from the raptor?

have you checked Process Monitor for likely culprits?

Would your desktop background image live on that drive?
    Damien,

thanks Damien, but no, no, yes, no!

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Given your level of experience I expected those answers

Have you tried dragging it to the trash to unmount it? Does that give you any useable info?
    Damien,

Wouldn't have anything to do with those pesky Digi database/cache files would it?

Sorry.......I'm stumped.

I've seen similar issues in the past, but nothing universal. Perhaps something is running or talking to the volume in question. Try booting to safe mode (to keep all but essential services off) and see if DU can unmount?

If it can, at least you know where to look.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    Wouldn't have anything to do with those pesky Digi database/cache files would it?
    Ya know, that was my first thought! This problem became apparent after I'd cleaned house on the Raptor boot drive and made fresh installs of Tiger and my upgrade to PTLE7.4. The problem may have been there before, I just don't know. But yes, I trashed the Digidesign Database folders on that drive.

Unc, Safe Boot made no difference, and Damien, dragging it to the Trash couldn't unmount it.

After doing the Safe Boot, next full restart resulted in the other volume on the Maxtor not mounting! DU was able to mount it no problem, but this is starting to look serious. All necessary files on the Maxtor drive are backed up, so no worries there.

I'm still waiting for my DW4 CD to come from Alsoft, and that could take weeks, but in the meantime I have a query in with Alsoft tech support.

I have a spare Maxtor SATA drive which I think I'll put in the G5; right now I don't want to trust the suspect one for recording. If Alsoft come up with a strategy to see if DW can find and repair any problems I'll put it back and see what happens. Failing that I'll zero it out and put it on the shelf. It's about 3 years old, came with the G5 from new.

Red face Some suggestions

Was Spotlight indexing the drive while you tried to unmount it?

Do you have some Anti-Virus scanners running (CXAV, Sophos e.g.)?

Maybe a process which is getting started up with the OS is blocking the volume or it is installed on this drive? (A list of your startup apps would be of help)

Maybe it is time for checking mountpoints via the terminal?

Regards

Nicolas
    Custom Configurations! Rad Hacks and Mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    Was Spotlight indexing the drive while you tried to unmount it?I don't think so. I made several attempts to unmount it over a couple of days and the Mac was running all the time.

Do you have some Anti-Virus scanners running (CXAV, Sophos e.g.)?No, don't have any installed.

Maybe a process which is getting started up with the OS is blocking the volume or it is installed on this drive? (A list of your startup apps would be of help)I wondered about that, but I have no Login Items for either user account, and I couldn't see anything unusual running in Activity Monitor

Maybe it is time for checking mountpoints via the terminal?The drive is out of the machine now, but DU showed the mountpoint as /Volumes/Maxtor1, which would have been correct.
    When booted from either of the 2 new Raptor volumes the one Maxtor volume with the OS on it would not unmount, but it would if I booted from the FW Backup clone of the boot volume I'd just replaced. The Mac would also boot from the Maxtor volume. It did seem a little slower than usual to boot, but that could be my imagination; I don't usually use that drive to boot and it is, of course, noticeably slower than the Raptor.

One new Raptor OS is a fresh install of 10.4.0 updated to 10.4.9 using the Combo update. I chose to install my User Documents from the FW backup. The second Raptor OS is a clone of the first one updated with the 10.4.11 Combo update.