Thread: superdrive freaking out

Default superdrive freaking out

howdy.

i have a 1.25GHz powerpc g4. i'm running 10.3.9

yesterday i was attempting to back up a dvd on my machine. the disk was somewhat scratched and i could not complete the task. i ended up force quitting the operation. after some wait time with the pinwheel spinning the disk was ejected. it made a horrible scrapping sound when it slid out.

i inserted a music cd to try to see if i could play some tracks with itunes. the drive made loud, unusual spinning sounds as the disk spun. i was able to play 40 seconds of music before the audio locked up.

again had to force quit and the disk made a nasty srapping sound as it ejected.

any ideas what has happened here? is my disk drive fried? i'd love some guidance on this one.

gracias,

harry d.

Probably could use at least some cleaning. Doesn't take much dirt in the wrong place to force a misfit of the moving parts to each other. The disk isn't allowed to slide into place quite right or the spindle isn't aligned right when it moves into place. Try a good blowout. And then you might try burning cheaper CDs to see if you can get it working. Those DVDs turned into coasters get expensive

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Looks like it has some kind of mechanical issue. If it's been used a lot it could be worn-out.

As cheap as drives are these days it's probably best to just replace it, unless you are comfortable opening them up to check for what is causing the problem.

thanks for your replies.

can you point me to where i can begin shopping for a new disk drive? how would i have it replaced? are there shops that do this or do i need to send the machine in to apple?

gracias,

harry d.

Are you reasonably good with a screwdriver, and following instructions? If so you should be able to replace it yourself.

First thing to decide is what drive. If that's the factory Superdrive you can get one that's a lot faster now. You can use the database over at AYM to see user reports on different drives.

I have a retail Pioneer DVR-109 in my G4, and it works great.

Yeah, it can be fun to do surgery, but don't expect the patient to live.

Blow it out first, then all you can do is try an figure out what is wrong with the feed/loading mechanism...and be ready to replace.

For 35 bucks, you don't need use heroic measures.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin