Thread: Need more space. Can I keep current enclosure or do I need to revise system?

Confused Need more space. Can I keep current enclosure or do I need to revise system?

Hey guys,

Iím a photographer whose harddrives are way full and I know Iím just asking for a disaster. I need to get more space, backup my files (I know!!!), and have my older drives available for easy reloading into the enclosure for when I need to rework older files. Hereís my current system. You've always been so helpful in the past -- thanks! Any advice on this one would be greatly appreciated!

Iíve got a quad 2.5 Ghz G5 with 4 GB ram
    In the machine I have 2 hardrives:

Startup Disk: Raptor (150Gb)
    Macintosh 250 Gb drive

In the 2 bay SATA enclosure I have:

Hitachi 500GB drive
    Hitachi 400 Gb drive

Now Ė Iím pretty sure that my enclosure is not Ďhotswap.í I bought it here at macgurus a while back and itís like those Ďburly PM sata enclosuresí Ė not the Ďhotswapí ones with the digital screen in front. The question is: do I need to get a different enclosure setup in order to be able to swap drives in and out? All drives are currently way over-full and Iím generally adding about 60 - 100 GB of imagery/ month.

According to the guide to photo storage, it seems that I donít necessarily need any fancy hotswap stuff Ė but I may need to upgrade to a 4 or 5 bay enclosure? And get SyncronizeProX. I just am not much of a computer geek, and it was a while ago that I installed my fancy enclosure Ė Iím a bit jittery about messing with it again.
    Iím generally adding about 60 - 100 GB of imagery/ month.

Thanks in advance,

Bethany

Hi Bethany,

From looking at the order it appears you bought a 2 Bay Hotswap Enclosure. It has the regular trays, which I like more than the LCD ones with the fancy blue light (eye candy).

Nice part is, you also got the Sonnet E4P host card, which means you can install a Port Multiplier enclosure to that card, no need for a new host card $$.

No reason to get rid of the 2 bay, it will keep right on working. And the trays from a PM enclosure will swap into it as well. Stick with the standard trays and grab up a 4 bay and just start expanding into it. Piece of cake.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Thumbs up

Cool!
    So in theory, I just need to get:

Burly 4 Bay SATA Hot Swap PM
    4 - Hitachi T7K500 500 GB SATAII HDs
    (Iím just going with Hitachi because thatís what I have and I havenít had any problems so far. Any reason why I should go Seagate instead?)

And I'll just get that sychronize software from somewhere else?
    Thanks Ricks!

Bethany

That sounds good......except:

If you add up to 100 GB per month, it won't be too long before we revisit this again. Do you ever purge anything? If not, in a three years you could have:

100GB X 36 months = 3600GB (3.6 Terabytes, TB)

That's not including......anything you have in storage now, or if you shoot more, or if you move up to a higher res camera, which will increase the size of every file.

If any of the above is likely, the more space you add, the less often you will will have to mess with this again.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Good point Unc.

Bethany, maybe the cure is to get something like the 4 or 5 bay and start out with one or two 1 TeraByte drives in it. That way later on, when you have outgrown that drive or drives, you will still have room to add a couple more drives. And you know that the drives will be cheaper per GB and probably bigger yet by then. By getting more bays you have the infrastructure to add more drives while actually buying the expensive part, the hard drives themselves, later when you actually need it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Red face 5 bay with 2 1tb seagates it is!

whoo-hoo!
    sounds good - thanks for all the advice again.
    Now that the holidays are over, I'm ready to get organized! -- so then i'll be getting the 5 bay and it seems that the 1 TB seagate is the way to go, right?

And I won't be needing any other fancy gizmos/hostcards or anything to get rockin, right?

thanks,

bethany

MGBurly5PM - Burly 5 Bay w/ Port Multiplier

Cables: 2 Meter MCJ78EX-BB;

ST31000340AS - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000 GB SATAII 32 MB cache

The 5 bay will attach directly to the host card you already have. You need nothing else.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

whoo-hoo! I'm ordering them now.
    thanks again!