Thread: Fan(s) for MDD G4

Default Fan(s) for MDD G4

One or more of the fans in my MDD G4 is sounding pretty sick and the airflow doesn't seem like what it used to . I've read all I can find here about replacing them - the noise doesn't bother me so its not an issue and I figure fans are cheap so replace 'em all. I am having trouble finding the units though. The big one is a Delta AFB1212VHE. I had one on order from a place called SMC Electronics. They cancelled the order saying it wasn't in stock anymore. Other places have a 3 wire version available or their websites are so funky I can't order. (Confidence booster, right?) The PS fans are 60mm Delta AFB0612EH and again I see some places have 3 wire versions.
    Can I use those, or are their good alternatives I can use. (I saw an article using Volcano Fans - can't find those either.) Any sources?
    Thanks,
    Bret

You can indeed use the 3-wire 12V fans. Just forget about the 3rd (yellow) wire on the fan. That's there for certain speed controllers. If you simply hook the red wire to +12V, and the black to black the fan will run at max speed.

I replaced all the fans in my DA with Vantecs, and have been very happy with them. I used the "stealth" fans because I wanted it quiet. I modded the case for better airflow to go with the lower CFM fans, and it's worked out great. They also make some high CFM fans if moving air is your primary concern.

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

This place has always had all the fans I ever needed. I also did a MDD once
    Damien,

Thanks guys. It took awhile but I've found the fans. Two different places, 2 separate shipping charges, but what the hey. (Fingers crossed they actually ship this time)
    I read your pages Damien. Much useful information is available just takes a lot of time to weed through it.

-Bret

Yeah that page isn't laid out well at all but for what I did I thought I needed large hi res pics and loading them all on the main page would probably get me beat-down
    Damien,

Yeah, right.

Damien makes those big complicated pages on purpose. First he tricks you into reading them, the next thing you realize you been staring at one picture for three days and you don't remember your purpose in life or your middle name. And then you wake up in a different city.

nefarious.

molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Yeah, right.

Damien makes those big complicated pages on purpose. First he tricks you into reading them, the next thing you realize you been staring at one picture for three days and you don't remember your purpose in life or your middle name. And then you wake up in a different city.

nefarious.

I appreciated the information nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    Yeah, right.

nefarious.

It's been a while since I last had to smite someone.....
    Damien,