Thread: HDD won't open when clicked on

Default HDD won't open when clicked on

Hi there,

Something strange has just happened with my computer. I was just loading some MP3s from a folder on my HDD into iTunes, when all of a sudden I couldn't open the folder titled 'Music' from where the MP3s came. This is not the same folder as you get when opening the Finder, which has iTunes, Garageband, and Logic files. This was a folder of MP3s that I copied over from my portable MP3 player, which, up until now (since February), has not acted peculiarly in any way. I have to access this folder by clicking on the HDD, and then scrolling down to the folder. Now, I can't even open the HDD at all. When I double click on the HDD icon, the window flashes open, and then disappears. When I use Spotlight to try and get at the Music folder, clicking on it also makes the window disappear. I am using 10.4.10. I wonder if I have some kind of virus or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Glenn

PS, trying to access the music folder via iTunes; I can get at this folder this way, but when I click on certain sub-folders, say for a specific album, iTunes quits, as well. WTF????
    Last edited by Glenn F.; 10-29-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Disk Utility? Disk Warrior?

If you have Disk Utility open and try to access the drive does it disappear from DIsk Utility?

Might be a drive going bad.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Hi Rick,

Well, I don't have Disk Warrior. When booting from the Install disk, running Disk Repair, I am told that there are no problems with this Mac. Running the Hardware test, likewise. Now I can not even get into the Finder. From the Install disk, I could see the HDD, and bring up the folders, but could not access files, or move them onto the desk top. Getting a little frazzled...

Glenn

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Did you repair permissions? Also when this folder of MP3's was accessible before was your player connected or disconnected
    Damien,

Hi,

Yes, I repaired permissions, first thing I tried. The music folder was long ago copied from my MP3 player, which I haven't plugged in since I copied it onto my HDD in the spring. It is just a 10 gig folder with album sub-folders in it.

I've got back into the Finder again. I just finished backing up the latest stuff that needed backing up onto a DVD. Still won't open the HDD, though.

Yesterday, I loaded some pics onto Photobucket, and did it with a bulk loading Applet. I was prompted when I did this, basically being asked whether I want to give this Applet full access to my computer. So, I wonder if that had anything to do with this.

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn F.; 10-29-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Default Update

I ended up doing something totally screwy, and then I had to re-install the original OS, which, for this computer, was 10.4.7. After I did this, I could access the HDD without any problems. After I did the OS update back to 10.4.10, the problem re-emerged: When I click on the HDD, the window opens and then immediately closes. Of course, it may not be the OS update itself that is causing the problem, it could be one of the other updates that I okeyed.

There is a 10.4.11 coming, isn't there?

I'll probably re-do the OS install again tomorrow, just so I can go into the HDD and get out what I want to get out.

Cheers,

Glenn

Question A shot in the dark but worth checking.

Highlight the file/HDD etc and select "Get Info" from the File menu and see what it says for ownership and permissions.

I doubt we see a 10.4.11 now that Leopard is out. Apple never readdresses issues on older versions.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default Update Zwei

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Highlight the file/HDD etc and select "Get Info" from the File menu and see what it says for ownership and permissions.
    I did that, and it looked like the permission to read and write were greyed out and inaccessible.

Well, I went through the whole process again, this time moving the folders onto the desktop, and it works fine w/ OS10.4.10. There must be something funky with one of the files in one of those folders. Also, last week, the audio balance in iTunes shifted all by itself, so I get the feeling there's a ghost in the machine somewhere.

Now I am left with Logic no longer recognizing a couple of AU plugins, and missing some files, so I may have to reinstall all of Logic 8....

Jeez....

Cheers,

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by ricks View Post
    I doubt we see a 10.4.11 now that Leopard is out. Apple never readdresses issues on older versions.

Rick
    .......Well, sometimes they do. 10.4.11 is coming.

I for one am glad, as 10.5 is a big enough change that it will cut out some hardware, and some software, so some folks will want to run 10.4 for some time to come. I just hope that 10.4.11 wraps things up right, not introducing more bugs than it fixes.

FWIW, I have stopped upgrading all machines at 10.4.9, since none of them need anything in 10.4.10, and .10 did cause some problems for some users.......stop at 10.4.9?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Just lurking about and I agree with unclemac, for me at least, I will be sticking with 10.4
    Unfortunately, my latest work machine is now sporting 10.4.10 and I am noticing some wake from sleep freezes. Wondering if there is a site where the fixes and the bugs they accidentally introduced in each version is listed.
    Also, where can one download a previous version, ie; 10.4.9 or .8?
    TIA,
    Bif
    living in a powder keg and giving off sparks

Also, where can one download a previous version, ie; 10.4.9 or .8?
    In the past Apple has had them just be sure and look for the proper one as there will probably be 3 of them ... one for a G3/4/5 PPC, a Server, and the Intel Mac's.

Yeah, a little harder to find now......with the new web design. I find stuff much easier in the support vs. download area, which would seem reasonable.

Go over here and click on your OS, or seach for something like: "10.4.9 Combo"

http://www.apple.com/support/osfamily/
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin