Thread: ipod classic 160GB.... you might wanna wait

Default ipod classic 160GB.... you might wanna wait

Just a quick word to those eyeing the new ipod Classics...... I've got about 65gb in my itunes library, and waited patiently till I could get my hands on a nice shiny black one (from Costco).

I tried to synch the library several times, and got bizarre results every time. It would synch for several hours, and after 5000 songs would lock up. Computer would say that there had been an error from which it could not recover from, while ipod said the operation had completed successfully. Upon ejecting ipod, it said it contained only 58 songs (!!!!!!!)

I did everything I could...... reset, restore, updated all the software, did another restore..... tried to synch it several times...... same every time, ipod balked about 1/3 way thru every time.

Last night, I googled for something like 'ipod classic 160gb problems' or something to that effect..... it turns out, well, I'm not the only one having problems with them.

Buyer beware. Maybe the next batch will have the bugs worked out. Thanks apple!!!!! can't you ever just release a product THAT ACTUALLY WORKS the first time around?????????????????????

Boyd 9

Answer: No.

"Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

I don't understand why you can't use FireWire to sync anymore. Maybe it was a cost-cutting measure?

I'm keeping my eye peeled for a nice 4th gen. iPod to replace my Mini. Can't complain about the Mini at all really. It's had a rough life, and still works great. It'd be nice to have more than 4GB though.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
    I don't understand why you can't use FireWire to sync anymore. Maybe it was a cost-cutting measure?
    There's a relation between Apple's adoption of Intel CPUs and Apple's deprecating (Sony's and Apple's) FireWire in favor of (Intel's) USB.

Not all the agreements between OEMs are visible in press releases.
    haiku:
    I can't remember
    the last time I restarted
    I love OS X

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by ricercar View Post
    There's a relation between Apple's adoption of Intel CPUs and Apple's deprecating (Sony's and Apple's) FireWire in favor of (Intel's) USB.

Not all the agreements between OEMs are visible in press releases.
    Apple dropped Firewire synch long before adopting Intel CPU's

They went to all USB when they started selling iPod for Windows. Since USB was on nearly all windows machines and firewire wasn't. After that it was a matter of having/supporting 2 transfer modes or just one.
    Damien,

Yeah I remember all the talk about how Apple was going to abandon FW when they dropped it from the iPods. So far that's the only thing they've dropped it from.

Fact is USB sucks for any throughput-intensive tasks, and eats up CPU to boot.

And Apple dropped the FW iSight. k

sounds like your ipod is faulty. unsurprising as I'm sure they're fragile. a 160gb dive in that space I mean wow. take it back to costco.

I thought the USB adoption for ipods was about cost and space too. The "PCs don't have FW" argument seems to be a very important one for the ipod market.

I don't really miss FW on ipods myself, USB2 is working just fine.

I do miss the FW iSight cameras....we use a several dozen of them to do video chat/recording of folks that are not sitting in front of the computer. Handy and high quality, not too easy to replace with USB models.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

And Apple dropped the FW iSight. k
    Why? That stinks. Can USB2 do full motion? So my FW from MicroOrange is looking better they called it an iBot. It works but very rarely use it. Cam<->Cam with biggles some. My stand broke.

I expect it is as simple as the fact that almost every new Mac has a built-in camera, so the market is drying up. If the rumors are true, the soon-to-be announced new Apple displays will have a built in camera too, so it would be an incentive for MP and MM owners to buy the Apple displays instead of a third party brand.

Seems to fit Apple's overall product model: move upscale, higher prices, more/better features, higher margins.