Thread: 10.5. Leopard. Bugs.

Confused 10.5. Leopard. Bugs.

Hello everyone. Been awhile since I needed advice. I put leopard on one of the drives in my G5. Beautiful looking thing on screen, but it soon started acting screwy. I had an intact and completely up to date volume of 10.4.10 on the second drive, plus another on an external firewire machine, so no real harm done and running back on Tiger as I write.

Leopard ran fine for a while, then the Earthlink toolbars vanished, and soon after that while the E-mail seemed to be working, Safari couldn't connect to a server. I did a new install of 10.5 but the problem didn't go away. I ran Disk Utility from the 10.5 install disc and verified the disc as OK. However, I was unable to verify permissions. It just ran and ran and ran without seeming to do anything at all. Running Disc Utility in 10.4.10 on the Leopard volume gives literally hundreds of permission errors. But since I was checking 10.5 from a 10.4.10 OS, would that be accurate?

Anyway. Is anyone else seeing anything like this? Other than waiting for an update from Apple(!!??!!) any suggestions?

It's late. Long day. Perhaps a little incoherent!
    Best regards to you all.
    It's a nice nose! I like it! It's chewy!!

Arrow From MacFixit.

Part of a long post one user makes of a list of things he is seeing.

'Verifying, Repairing Permissions and Disk:
    I have no idea why, but verifying and repairing the disk permissions takes FOREVER. It literally takes minutes before the progress bar moves anywhere. Sometimes it takes so long that I'm not even sure it's going to work. I also tried verifying the disk, which resulted in a permanent beachball... Needed to restart. '

This is close to what I am seeing, except it didn't go anywhere at all for me.
    Wary of running Applejack or Onyx or the like to dump caches, repair permissions and so on from a third party App. Also, what is compatible with Leopard? Doing more research in the morning no doubt.
    Grrrrr.
    CB

PS. Where the heck is 10.4.11 anyway?

Hold off on all third party tools until the dev says they are approved, and then wait another week or more to see what users report.

Been doing a little testing, and repairing perms is slow, but worked for me. Don't fixate too much on that as it is less likely to be a culprit as it was back in 10.2 and 10.3. The slowness thing could even be some things that happen that they don't show you....that has been the case once in the past as I recall.

I would not repair perms from any other OS as a really solid rule; so that leaves you with booting to the optical disk, or running from the booted OS. Outside of that could do more damage than good. Need to wait for the all clear there too.

Good golly man........it has not even been one day yet. How can anybody know this stuff yet?

Thanks for the post, keep us updated. Good and bad.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Question What is this disc in Disc Utility?

This disc is showing in Disc Utility in 10.5.

Disk description : HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B

There is no disc in the drive drawer. This does not appear when I am booted in 10.4.10. It can not be erased. The erase button stays greyed out. How would I dismount it? Am still unable to connect Safari to a server, but I can receive and send e-mail (via Earthlink) while in 10.5. Note: When I initially installed Leopard, I allowed it to verify the consistency of the installation disc before proceeding to the actual installation. I am hoping that would mean there would be less chance the disc itself is defective.

If I do a complete erase and install for 10.5 (that would be on a completely separate hard drive to the one currently running 10.4.10), what would be the best way to port all User files, Applications and so forth over to 10.5?

Interesting. Almost like a place holder for a CD/DVD, so you can see your options before inserting any media.

Wonder if that is a bug, or by design?
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Confused Hmmm.

That hadn't occurred to me as a possible explanation. I don't know what the letters etc. signify as an ID. I assumed it wasn't supposed to be there!!

At the moment I am erasing the drive, and will do a completely fresh install and see if that disc doodad is in Disc Utility for a start. I am planning to port all the other Users and Apps over using Target Disc Mode (unless someone tells me that won't work). ????? I won't use CCC (my usual partner in backing up and restoring) until I am confident CCC is compatible. Meanwhile 10.4.10 is rolling along jus purrfect on my other drive, so nothing ventured, nothing gained or lost in this case!

Best regards.
    CB

Rolleyes OK. Semi successful!

After zeroing the drive (once rather then the multiple times offered as options) I reinstalled 10.5 and used the option to port Users, Apps and what have you over from the other drive. The mystery disc is still showing in Disc Utility. The whole thing seems sluggish at the moment, but I dumped all the internet caches in 10.4.10 before starting so perhaps things will speed up a little as it goes along. By the way I forgot to mention I ran Disc Warrior V. 4 on the 10.4.10 yesterday before starting all this. Safari is online, and so is the e-mail app. The Earthlink tool bar and task panel are still missing on the desktop, despite being set in Earthlink preferences which I can access from System Preferences. Is anyone else seeing the mystery disc in Disc Utility?

I dunno. Some progress here. Probably will stay with Tiger and not rely on this iteration at least for now.
    Will stay in touch.
    CB Loma Mar

Talking Hmm and Hmm again.

As of this morning the missing Earthlink Tool bar and Task bar have reappeared. When I booted the thing up, it asked me to register my Earthlink account rather as though it was entirely new, then happily began it's thing as set in preferences as though nothing was ever amiss. Is this like "Honey, I'm home!!!"???? Self repair? I'm not complaining. Mystery disc still showing in Disc Utility.

CB. Loma Mar.

Rolleyes

Hi,

The disc description you are seeing is simply the optical drive in your machine, Or possibly an external drive you have hooked up. It looks like you have an LG SuperDrive and the rest of the description is simply the model number. I have never seen this show up anywhere other than in the system profiler, perhaps with Leopard it shows up in Disk Utility also. I wouldn't bother trying to erase it as there is nothing to erase. The only possibility of removing it from the Disk Utility window would be to drag it out and let it go up in smoke. Its not the disc but the disc drive (optical) you are seeing. As far as transfering user files goes, simply install your system and then use "Migration Assistant" (In the Utilities folder) to copy your existing files over. Hope this helps.. Any optical drive starting with the letters HL-DT is usually an LG Branding.

Regards,
    Ben.
    Last edited by harvester; 10-28-2007 at 09:09 AM.

Thumbs up Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by harvester View Post
    Hi,

I have never seen this show up anywhere other than in the system profiler, perhaps with Leopard it shows up in Disk Utility also. Its not the disc but the disc drive (optical) you are seeing.

Regards,
    Ben.
    Yup. Weird. It remains to be seen if it is some kind of deliberate 'place holder' as suggested above. In which case it would be my annoying habit to ask "what for?"
    Meanwhile the new cat is behaving quite well enough this morning.
    CB. Loma Mar.

Thumbs up 10.5.1

Update 10.5.1 has fixed the Disc Utility at least on this machine. Now verifies and repairs permissions (and yes there were a couple out of whack.)

CB. Loma Mar.

Hmmmm.....now I have the DU hang after a clean install of 10.5 and then adding 10.5.1. Would not do anything until after Spotlight finished indexing the drive.......OK, I can handle that. Now it works, but very slow.

What about user permissions (for data and things outside of Apple's concern when running DU perm repair)? I lived by batchmod in 10.3/4, but now I see this mess, and wonder what regular ol' users are expected to do? 10.5 may make more use of ACLs than 10.4 did.....still have some reading to do....and there was a great tool with a nice GUI for this by the name of Sandbox, but it (and everything else I can find) has not yet been updated for 10.5 yet.

Which makes me think there are big changes under the hood for user perms in 10.5. Oh joy.

A coworker also found some bug that breaks Dashboard with managed accounts and parental controls enabled.

Reports of some users having wireless drops and connectivity issues when running on battery over at macfixit.com

When is 10.5.2 coming?

Which makes me think there are big changes under the hood for user perms in 10.5. Oh joy.
    There's also a change from Leopard with regard to a user's group. In Panther Apple made a change the default group (for a user) be identical to the username id; hence unclemac (user), unclemac (group). I've been told this is called User Private Groups in RedHat Linux.

Now in Leopard it's no longer like this, it's gone back to the way it was before, i.e. default group is 'staff'.

I wasn't planning an erase and install on MBP to for Leopard, but I may do this just to get things setup properlly. That is, backup, erase and install, create all the new users. Then manually copy the items in the new home directories. This will work on the MBP because I don't have a separate Users partition.

DA won't get Leopard because I still want/need Classic.

Rolleyes Hmmm. Well.......

Also on my machine, Empty Trash works, Secure Empty Trash just hangs hangs and hangs. Dropped connections with the external modem which I have to use. Not all the time, but some days over and over again. Not so good for these huge downloads for the OS updates. Leopard Cache Cleaner has been updated and I use that to finished emptying the trash and to run scripts which does help. Onyx beta for 10.5 is available, but what on earth would I be doing putting a beta on my machine at this point in the process?
    Seeing the old spinning beach ball a lot more than in 10.4, but not usually for very long. Time Machine seems rather like a small thing that runs around the house getting under foot. Haven't had to use it so far and Oh the spectacle when the screen drops away and so on. A little under overwhelmed with that piece of eye candy. I am glad it doesn't sound trumpets or play a ring tone.
    Most things are working as far as I need to use, but keeping my eye on stuff here and at Macfixit et al for all the insights.
    Onward. Onward.
    CB

Wink

just got a new MacBook Pro and it came with 10.4.11 installed. Leopard disk in the box, which I think is where it will stay for awhile......
    Tom Babb

Well, I still think it is great overall, just so much changes once you get under the hood a little, that I am not sure when I will be rolling it out to 300+ machines.

I am thinking not before April, or 10.5.4 - whichever comes first.

Wink

CB Loma Mar

Confused New topic. tasbproxy.

In System Preferences > Security > Firewall I have a thing 'tasbproxy' which I didn't put there. Anyone know what it is? What puts it there? I have it blocked, and can take it off the list entirely, but I would like to know a lot more about it first.

CB

Confused Here's another one.

Software Update. 10.5.2 ENORMOUS 343MBs. The rural dial-up I complain about a lot 2.5 KBs/sec will take about 48hrs. Now, I have asked a couple of friends if they have time to download the Combo standalone and burn to CD for me, but just to see I tried the Software Update (180MBs). Here's what showed up after 150KBs or so. Bug reports filed. Minor personal ranting etc.

CB.