Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Leopard: Oct. 26

Gotta agree with you on that Matt. Another thing missing are the system/hardware requirements. Some places speculating that this could be an Intel-only update. At the very least, it could be one for which the benefits are mostly seen on the Intel-side.

Thanks guys for the clarification. I feel better.

Rolleyes sheepshaver

Ok guys...........now please make ME feel better!!

In the early postings on this thread, someone mentioned program called Sheepshaver (not sheepsaver) which will allow OS9 to run on Leopard sitting in an intel Mac. I went to their site, downloaded the software and instructions, and soon will have to install.

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Any hints about installation?

Marrand

Default Oops!

Sorry. didn't mean to leave you hangin'

Aware of Sheepshaver, but no experience at all with it. Turned my back on OS 9 years ago, with no need to look back. I know others need it.....

I suspect that if anybody here was running it they would have yelled by now.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default 10.5.4 Out Today!!

A bit early, which is nice. Rumors were that it would hit the street just before or at July 11th with the iPhone 2 release. Fairly small Delta release—by 10.5 standards.

Ran the Delta on test box with 10.5.3 on it and repaired permissions. Did not time it but permission repair seemed faster than previously. Nothing else to report yet.

....OK, .4 is my WAG of a stable OS, at least based on previous history. Don't want to jinx anything, but 10.5 may now have finally landed.

Will need some test time and and focus to beat it up and see what others thing. Reports should start trickling in tomorrow, and solidify over the next couple of days: Good, bad or ugly. Stay tuned.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

10.5.4 on a few machines so far, with no big news to report. Used to have some trouble wit USB and FW drives mounting and unmounting correctly 100% of the time, and it seems better.

Just ran the full 10.5.4 Combo updater on my 1.2 DA G4 tower, which is currently running a Sonnet CPU, a flashed ATI 9600, and a third party USB wireless dongle w/drivers. No problems to report yet. Sometimes I have to restart or reinsert the wireless device for the OS to see it and work correctly, but it hase done that since 10.5.0. No worse (or better) since 10.5.4, and there have been no driver updates for it since before the the 10.5 roll out.

Repaired permissions a few times on a couple test current MacBooks, and it only took about 5 minutes. OTOH, they were both stripped down Base OS only, with almost no third party apps, and no user data to wade through. Seemed to take longer (maybe 20 min., though I did not time it) on my old modded 1.2 G4 DA with about 60GB on the boot partition. Could be based on the speed of the machine and/or the amount of data on the drive.

Still playing with permissions for managed users, and I keep finding little things (and a few big things) that are different on 10.5 than on 10.4, beyond ACLs (which I have fully removed with no down side yet).

---

Not many comments in this thread anymore...

A victim of our own success? Is OS 10 getting so good and dependable, everybody just installs the latest patch and doesn't look back? Just not that much to talk about, since we usually talk about what is lacking or broken, and that list seems to continually shrink. Plus all the legacy machines that will likely have 10.4 as their last OS.

10.5.4 is on one of my G5's internal drives via Software Update. So far it is working good. Repairing permissions does take a long time for me with 184GB on it. There were several repairs that were worthwhile along with all of the ACL's. k

I purchased MacPilot 5 user Family Pack. Running the 10.5.4 internal drive, in MacPilot you select Tools at the top, Disk and Files, and the Wipe Access Control List Data... bar, then select the Home folder to wipe. Took less than a minute to complete. Rebooted and ran DU Repair Disk Permissions. Took 8min 24sec. Rebooted and ran again, this time 7min 19sec. Still a bunch of ACLs reported in the System Folder which MacPilot's Tech Support recommends not touching. k
    Last edited by kaye; 07-31-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Despite the Tech's recommendation to not touch the System Folder, I could not resist. First I backed up the 10.5.4 drive with SuperDuper then ran MacPilot on the current System Folder. My reasoning, weak tho it is, is that since I used an archive and install, those ACLs were the cause.

Like the Tech, MacPilot warned me not to. After completion, I rebooted and ran DU Repair Disk Permissions. This time it took 5min 02sec and reported all those ACLs missing in the System Folder. Rebooted and ran again. This time the report was:
    Repairing permissions for “7HMLIII-16MB”
    Reading permissions database.
    Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.

Permissions repair complete

Took 3min 29sec. Now I am in the process of checking everything to see if there is any damage. So far I have not found any problems but then it was an archive and install. k

Good for you Kaye. The warning is to prevent users from locking themselves out from the OS, and then complaining to the software vendor that it "broke" their computer.

Just to be clear, I have only been tweaking/removing ACLs in the Users space, but I would expect it is safe to kill them all as long as POSIX permissions are right. ACLs are just another level of permissions, and without them POSIX permission are used, same as 10.4 and back.

Not sure.....will the Apple repair perms script put the OS ACLs back after you remove them? Have you looked to confirm?

It does not unless it is something elsewhere in DU that I have not tried. k

Exclamation Hello 10.6.2!

.......To quote Eddie Murphy:

Do he bark or do he bite?

Quote Originally Posted by unclemac View Post
    .......To quote Eddie Murphy:

Do he bark or do he bite?

Yikes! It's 480 megs!!

Default 10.6.3 is fully baked now.

Mostly bug fixes. Running it on a few machines, no problems yet.

I see some benchmarking that Open GL and a few other things are faster in 10.6.3.

OS 10 is getting so good, we just push the update button and expect perfection.

Any issues out there?

Virginia... where one Democrat CAN make a difference

I installed it last night and on the first restart after the install was through I got a very strange screen. It almost looked like an OpenGL test screen. Multi colored 1/2 inch by 1 inch boxes that you could see me desktop behind. It restarted fine though and never showed that again.
    Damien,

Must be my turn.

I did all the updates one at a time and no problems so far.

Thumbs up

Installed 10.6.3 yesterday.......... no problems at all yet.

I did the 10.6.3 the morning they released it.
    At first, it caused all my Adobe apps to launch, quit and then relaunch.
    Ran AppleJack and there was a problem with the HFS hierarchy.
    Took three tries to get it fixed.
    Everything is running OK now though.
    I'm reminded of the immortal Socrates who said......."I drank WHAT?????"

Is there a brand new AppleJack? Or what version are you running?