Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Leopard: Oct. 26

Tuff part is finding a tool that can let a users manage ACLs with a GUI tool. WorkgroupManager does this for 10.4 Server. So far the only tool I have found that can do this with 10.5 is TinkerTool System.
    I've owned TTS for quite some time. Never touched the ACL tab though -- maybe for good reason.

I went searching on macupdate for others. Came across a GUI app called Sandbox for editing ACLs. Screen shot looks interesting. However not yet certified for Leopard; so doesn't change your remark about only thing in 10.5 being TTS. But something to keep on eye on?!?

http://www.mikey-san.net/sandbox/

Yup. Played with Sandbox on 10.4. Nice.

Like TTS even better though for ACLs, maybe just from habit of tweaking ACLs on 10.4 Server for share points. TTS is very close to WGM on 10.4 Server, so it seems simple because of previous experience.

You can safely drag folders on to sniff out ACLs without making changes with TTS, plus there is an inspection tab that shows effective ACLs per file per user. Give it a peek.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

One if not the last app I've been waiting for been waiting for...Diskwarrior. While Alsoft announced and released awhile back v4.1 for Leopard compatibility, there's been a wait for v4.1 CD updater for those of us with v4.0 already. No more, the v4.1 CD updater is out. Sweet!

http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/support.html

I ordered the DW 4.1 CD as an update. I am still not ready to go to all Leopard even tho I have 3 drives, 1 internal and 2 external, running 10.5.2.

On another note, when I have all 3 drives mounted in the Finder, each drive seems to carve out a place on the desktop for itself which I can't seem to change in Finder prefs. Unlike 10.4.11 where the boot drive is at the top of the icons, I cannot make the boot drive be at the top except 1 drive is always at the top even if I boot to one of the other 2 Leopard boot drives. Any ideas? k

Default Samba - Linux server?

Having problems connecting to Linux shares (via Samba) in Leopard. I can connect without issue in 10.4.x -- in fact booted off a FW backup and I have zero problems.

Matt?!? Are you having any problems on your Leopard test rigs connecting to Linux (or *nix) shares? It doesn't seem to work.

I did a bit of Googling, and it seems an issue, but some of the solutions involve modifing config files which mount the shares automatically at boot/login. I actually don't want that all.

Trying to get this working so I can run a VM copy of the Linux server + Oracle eBS instance with Fusion -- so I can my own play & destroy at my leasure *before* I have to cluster the Linux servers and split the Oracle stack. Easier now since I've got a single Linux server and a single node instance.

I suppose worse comes to worse I can boot from a FW with Tiger, but I'd have a lot of data on the FW bus while trying to create the VM. No chance
    in heck I can create that VM on the MBPs internal drive.

On another note, when I have all 3 drives mounted in the Finder, each drive seems to carve out a place on the desktop for itself which I can't seem to change in Finder prefs. Unlike 10.4.11 where the boot drive is at the top of the icons, I cannot make the boot drive be at the top except 1 drive is always at the top even if I boot to one of the other 2 Leopard boot drives. Any ideas? k
    Not sure it will solve it for you kaye, but have you looked at the 'View Options' for the desktop, in particular the 'Sort by field'? That may at least group the HDs together -- no sure if will put the boot drive first however.

Ouch. That's no fun.

Actually all of all our file shares are on 10.4/10.5 Server, or virtualized Win2003 servers, and SMB is working well with both (from 10.5 work stations). A couple weird things on the Win servers with file locking I need to investigate........but I never claimed to be Win guru.

Sorry, no help with Linux shares. Will respond back if I see anything helpful as I dig through the Win side.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

You put me on the right track eric. When I used Show View Options I was able to reorder the drives. However the one dmg download and folder alias on the desktop could not be moved. They would springload right back to their positions under the hard drive icons.

However, View -> Arrange By (further up the View menu) and selecting Kind does allow me to move those 2 items elsewhere on the desktop. Thanks a lot. k

Default Linux Samba Shares - problem solved

Tried a bunch of suggestions like disabling the firewall, enabling cleartext password (Leopard-side afp), disabling unix extensions (server-side), etc. without luck. Refined googling led me to this clear statement of my problem exactly and the workaround that did the trick in the end.

Just like the info there, all shares on the Linux server were not browseable, i.e. all had the flag Browseable = No in /etc/samba/smb.conf. It was necessary on only one share to switch Browseable = yes and relaunch Samba. (For the moment did that to the share (Oracle eBS instance) with an empty db.) Now I can connect to all shares, even those set as non-browseable.

Hours wasted on this bug. All non-browseable Linux smb shares weren't a problem in 10.4.x or in Windows. Kind of a nasty bug since the workaround requires server-side intervention, albeit a simple one to effect. Grist for the mill for those Mac-disparaging admins.
    Last edited by eric; 03-27-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Thumbs up Nice Work!

There is nothing as frustrating to find, nor as reward to "fix" as these sorts of things.....at least for me. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing.
    Yeah eric get all them quirks figured out. Then I'll be up to snuff when I switch over ..... which won't be soon. I appreciate following threads like this. A good education for me.

Question Any problems with a Giga?

Just curious here... as I'll have Leopard tomorrow. Still waiting a little. I have not found problems upgrading to Leopard with a Giga. Any rumors here.

Didn't RBR say that he had downloaded the Giga info necessary for Leopard? Did you? I wish I had done so. k

Looks like I had better read through this Google search before doing to much. iMac time.

Yeah, I didn't download/save the information either Kaye, mostly because my Giga was dead.

The link the Randy found is really cleaver, and sounds like the way to do it.

I remember what was on Giga's page however. Basically the problems comes from using Bus multipliers (clock speeds) that Apple normally doesn't use. In which case your Mac reports incorrectly the CPU speeds....sometimes even 0. Since the Leopard installer checks for speeds, well that's problems.

Giga's giga-meter kernel extension is the software-based fix for the problem of incorrect or missing CPU clock speeds. But since it's a kernel extension that's the rub when booting of the Leopard DVD.

Giga's recommendation for this problem from their page was basically to use the jumpers to set the clock speed of the CPUs to one which your Mac will recognize natively, i.e. without Giga-Meter. After installing Leopard, you can set the jumpers back.

So basically, as long as your Mac with a Giga Designs upgrade can correctly detect the CPU speeds, then you not only do you not need Giga-Meter but you shouldn't have problem with a Leopard install either.

The link Randy sent seems interesting because you won't need to much with the hardware. You get Giga Meter to load and then run the installer. Neat.

Another solution I think would be the OF hack that people with processors too slow use to bypass the Leopard check.

One consideration in future support. Most all of Giga's production the last year went to OWC. You may be able to acquire firmware updaters, work arounds and software for the computer, if required, from OWC. Not going to be able to call them and ask for it, but they may publish it.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

My QS 867 is running 10.5.2 now just fine.

Waiting on the Dual Giga and DA.

Default 10.6....

Is just over the horizon:
    During its developers conference on Monday, Apple previewed Mac OS X Snow Leopard, which will build on the success of OS X Leopard with a focus on performance and stability.

Rather than add new features, the Cupertino-based Mac maker said the goal of Snow Leopard will be to enhance the performance of OS X, set a new standard for quality and lay the foundation for future OS X innovation.

Specifically, Snow Leopard will be optimized for multi-core processors, tap into the vast computing power of graphic processing units (GPUs), enable breakthrough amounts of RAM and feature a new, modern media platform with QuickTime X. Snow Leopard will also include out-of-the-box support for Microsoft Exchange 2007 and is scheduled to ship in about a year.

“We have delivered more than a thousand new features to OS X in just seven years and Snow Leopard lays the foundation for thousands more,” said Bertrand Serlet, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering. “In our continued effort to deliver the best user experience, we hit the pause button on new features to focus on perfecting the world’s most advanced operating system.”

Snow Leopard's multi-core processor support will be delivered alongside a new technology code-named “Grand Central,” making it easy for developers to create programs that take full advantage of the power of multi-core Macs.

The new version of Mac OS X will further extend support for modern hardware with Open Computing Language (OpenCL), which lets any application tap into the vast gigaflops of GPU computing power previously available only to graphics applications. OpenCL is based on the C programming language and has been proposed as an open standard.

Furthering OS X’s lead in 64-bit technology, Snow Leopard will also raise the software limit on system memory up to a theoretical 16TB of RAM.

Using media technology pioneered in OS X iPhone, Snow Leopard introduces QuickTime X, which optimizes support for modern audio and video formats resulting in extremely efficient media playback. Snow Leopard will also include Safari with the fastest implementation of JavaScript ever, increasing performance by 53 percent, making Web 2.0 applications feel more responsive.

Also, for the first time, Mac OS X will include native support for Microsoft Exchange 2007 in OS X applications Mail, iCal and Address Book, making it even easier to integrate Macs into organizations of any size.
    One thing that caught my eye for 10.6 Server preview:
    Among the other features planned for Snow Leopard Server are an overhauled Mail Server engine designed to handle thousands of simultaneous connections, and read and write support for the high-performance, 128-bit ZFS file system.
    Why?

This is a fun read that builds up nicely to why ZFS could be big. Just skip to the last page if you don't care why or how we got to where we are, and why ZFS will matter.

Currently, 10.5 supports ZFS read only, and rumor has it that devs have access to read/write for testing purposes.

Why did I just buy Leopard.

I have seen comments stating it will roll out about a year from now, and nobody (besides us silly testers!) will want to run 10.6.0 -10.6.2.....so that could put it at 14 -18 months out. You have time to enjoy 10.5.

Many of the goodies seem to be to leverage the latest hardware, so those of us that don't have bleeding edge Macs at home may care less about this release. Long ways out, too soon to know either way.