Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Leopard: Oct. 26

Default Leopard: Oct. 26

It's official, Leopard's release date is Friday, Oct. 26 @6:00 p.m. (PST I presume)

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/10/16leopard.html

Apple Store is taking pre-orders.

(But with Firefox, the Add to Cart button didn't for me, works fine with Safari, hmmm. )

Thumbs up

Pretty complete demo on line now:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/medium.html

Good stuff!
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Default Notable (In)compatibilities for Leopard

Tracking compabilities/incompatibilities and updates for compatibility with 10.5 requires HR that I really can't provide. Check Macintouch and Macfixit for news, and macupdate and versiontracker for Leopard compatibility updates.

Nonetheless, here are some notable statements of (in)compatibilities I've seen so far for 3d-party software lots of us use and depend on. Except for Micromat the statements of incompatibility or compatibility are from the publisher's sites -- as always your mileage may vary.

I wasn't meaning to originally but I've included some update news. I'm trying to keep this post updated with latest news.

Apple - Classic and Classic apps
    The only bit of Apple software I'll mention (lots of updates already). Classic is no more in Leopard; kbase 303137.
    (I didn't know this before I bought my copy; the DA won't be the first up for Leopard since I need a functioning Classic on that machine.)

May need to check out Sheepsaver for a Classic alternative, but nothing official about using it in Leopard.

(Disk) Utiltities
    Blanklet comment: Hold off on using any 3d party disk utilities and other utilities (Applejack, cache cleaners, etc.) until you get clear indications from the writers (and even then wait for user feedback if you can) as unclemac said here.

Alsoft Diskwarrior v4: an excerpt from their support page (use link for full text):
    10/26/2007 DiskWarrior 4.0 will successfully rebuild a disk that has Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard installed or a disk that has been attached to a computer running Leopard.

However, some operating system functionality has changed within Leopard itself. As such, there are some compatibility issues when running an installed copy of DiskWarrior 4.0 while started up from Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Alsoft currently recommends that you do not run DiskWarrior 4.0 while the computer is started from Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
    Micromat TechTool Pro 4
    Couldn't find anything official on their site; but there was a comment on macfixit 10/26/2007:
    Here's another gentle nudge in the form of a note from Micromat...that reads:
    "The current version of TechTool Pro 4 is not Leopard compatible. We will be releasing an update to support Leopard as soon after Leopard is released as possible. It will be listed on our website when available."

Shirt Pocket - SuperDuper
    SuperDuper! v2.14 is not compatibile:
    SuperDuper! 2.1.4 is not yet fully Leopard compatible.
    But it won't be long.

Qdea - Synchronize X Pro
    Synchronize X Pro v5.1.1 update (10/26/2007) brings Leopard compatibility.

Adobe

Nice summary on John Nack's blog 10/26/2007:
    The good news is that most Adobe apps don't require updates in order to run well. That is, the CS3 versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and other apps are good to go for Leopard right now. Rock out.

The CS3-generation applications that require patches are After Effects, Premiere Pro, Encore, and Soundbooth (due to go live in early December), and Acrobat 8/Reader 8 (due in January).
    Update 10/30/2007 The Print-to-PDF printer is broken in Acrobat Pro v8; see Adobe's forum. Also tried with v6 Pro and same deal. Acrobat Pro 8 seems otherwise fine.

Adobe's official faq (mentioned and linked by Nack) is here; includes a nice chart of Adobe's Leopard state of the art. Regarding older Adobe apps, the faq says:
    While older Adobe applications may install and run on Mac OS X Leopard, they were designed, tested, and released to the public several years before this new operating system became available. You may, therefore, experience a variety of installation, stability, and reliability issues for which there is no resolution. Older versions of our creative software will not be updated to support Mac OS X Leopard.
    That's an ouch for older versions. But before we go bashing big bad Adobe, take a look at what fully-owned Apple subsidiary Filemaker has to say...

Filemaker
    Greentree_uk mentioned this in another thread. From the FM Leopard compatibility faq:
    FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced generally run on Leopard although there are two known issues [Instant Web Publishing is broken and a language issue (latter fixed with 9.0.2); follow the link for full details.] We are targeting a downloadable update to be available on November 19, 2007, free of charge....

FileMaker Server 9 and FileMaker Server 9 Advanced currently do not deploy properly on Leopard. We are working on Leopard compatibility updates for FileMaker Server 9 and FileMaker Server 9 Advanced but do not have an estimated availability date at this time....

We have not tested earlier (pre-FileMaker 9) versions of FileMaker software on Mac OS X Leopard and do not intend to release updates for earlier versions.
    Update 11/1/2007: FM Pro (Adv) v9.0.2 update fixes language issue but not Web publishing.

VMWare Fusion

VMware has released Fusion 1.1RC beta:
    VMware Fusion 1.1 Release Candidate works well on pre-release versions of Mac OS X Leopard. VMware will be testing the final release version of Mac OS X Leopard as soon as it is publicly available on 10/26...
    Time machine can cause issues with RC beta; see post in this thread.

Update 11/12/2007. Fusion v1.1 (build 62573) non-beta is Leopard compatible, release notes. Nothing specific about time machine in the notes.

Quark - Xpress
    Added 11/1/2007 - Macworld has info about Quark v7 and v6. v7.3 is ok with exception of Flash export in Quark Interactive designer. v6.5 is not compatible.

Mark/Space - Missing Sync
    Added 10/30/2007 Compatibility faq - only Missing Sync for Blackberry so far, all others need an update.
    Update 11/12/2007 - some betas released for Leopard.

MacFuse/NTFS-3G
    MacFuse v1.00 was released on 10/26/2007, same day as Leopard. There are now Tiger and Leopard versions, which probably due in part to Apple's moving the filesystems directory from /System/Library/Filesystem (in Tiger) to /Library/Filesystems (in Leopard).

Update 11/1/2007 - NTFS-3G v1.004
    continues to be updated with users testing it in Leopard with/without MacFuse v1.00. Check carefully the comments on the blog for details.
    Update 11/8/2007 - MacFuse v1.1 was released, which seems to resolve some issues with latest releases of NTFS-3G in Leopard (and Tiger). But it's with this combo...

Marcel Bresink Software-Systeme - TinkerTool, Hardware Monitor, etc.
    Compatibility statement for all software.

Update 11/8/2007 TinkerTool v3.8 and TinkerTool System v1.8 Leopard compatible.
    Hardware Monitor v4.3 and Temperature Monitor v4.3 updates (10/26/2007) and their associated widgets bring compatibility.

CharlesSoft - Pacifist
    Pacifist v2.5 update
    (10/25/2007) brings Leopard compatibility and support for Leopard's new package format. So even in Tiger, v2.5 is needed to examine and extract Leopard packages.

Alessandro Levi Montalcini - USBOverdrive
    USBOverdrive v10.2.8 update (10/26/2007) brings Leopard compatibility and (finally) support for Bluetooth devices.

Plentycom Systems - SteerMouse
    Steermouse v3.8 update (10/25/2007) brings Leopard compatibility to this USBOverdrive alternative.
    Last edited by eric; 11-12-2007 at 11:22 AM.

I ran the Leopard update on my G5 Quad last night. Pretty slick interface. So far I haven't found anything broken, but I haven't pushed on any third party hardware yet. A few applications have displayed strangely, other than that smooth sailing.

This evening I will attach some SATA host cards and RAID cards and see what happens.

Looks like TimeMachine is not limited to using any particular drive type. Good news that SATA external drives will work just as well as Firewire.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Default I updated to Leopard

..update a test disk that is. Today was the day I cloned 10.4.10 to a FW800 external, and then upgraded that to Leopard. (SuperDuper! to the rescue for the clone, since Disk Utility's Restore didn't work.)

Things running reasonable well. Some things I noticed after the update:
    • Airport Networks weren't retailed. But some other Network settings were o.k., e.g VPN
    • Printers weren't saved either, had to add those back. But there's no more dedicated Printer Setup Utility (in the Utilities folder). You've gotta work through the Print&FAx System Preference.
    • There's now a Guest User installed by default for sharing as well as login -- although by default the login option isn't selected.
    Lots of little changes here and there. Don't mind the new iTunes style Finder at all, in fact I think I like. The transparent menu bar as many have mentioned is bad -- for me legibility of the menu bar dictated the desktop. Speaking of which, not sure I like the default galaxy desktop image.

Been doing a bit of testing of some apps, an update (some of which I updated my earlier post):

1. Filemaker 8 Advanced seems o.k. No heavy testing but it launchs and I added and deleted records w/o issue.

2. Adobe Acrobat v8 Pro only downside is the broken Adobe PDF Printer.

3. Missing Sync for Palm is broken in Leopard.

4. Hide was broken in Indesign CS3 until I trashed the prefs; found out about the prob and solution at the Adobe Forums.

Probably a good thing to bear in mind about trying trashing prefs after doing an update since you're working with previous preference files. First time I've done an major version update of an OS in years.

A quick check of 3d party apps hasn't show any major problems, e.g. apps that just won't launch. Athough I'm not firing up Fusion until the real update comes out.

In fact, watching the logs today helped me figure out why my CardIris business card reader was a doorstop until now -- even under Tiger. A conflict with Twain Sane, which I installed because Acrobat v8 only likes scanner drivers that are universal binaries, which Epson doesn't have for mine.

Not sure yet when I'll take the main drive in the MBP to Leopard. If some of these updates come out soon, I may go for broke, and grin & bear it with a broken Adobe Print PDF.

Macfixit has a 3d-party incompatibility report for Leopard, which I hope stays around and doesn't require a subscription.

Macintouch linked a article by Heise Security about changes to Leopard's firewall, which seem not for the better. Worth taking a look.

Default VMWare Fusion v1.0RC - Watch out for Time Machine!

Watch out with Time Machine if you're using VMWare Fusion, as TM can cause Fusion to hang as well as corrupting your VMs.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/109608?tstart=0
    http://communities.vmware.com/thread/109640

Seems you have to exclude (a or some?) folders from Time Machine to keep Fusion from hanging and causing file corruption. It appears that you need to exclude the folder containing the VMs, although some people excluded other folders. Check the thread.

Remember with Tiger how Spotlight cause some headaches? Looks like it Time Machine this time around.
    Last edited by eric; 10-31-2007 at 04:27 PM.

We are hammering on Time Machine pretty hard right now. Pretty interesting application that may be really nice in an small office environment. Worthless for a studio where large photo, video or audio files data bases are stored though. For that it sure looks like traditional backup software will allow a lot more versatility.

Thanks for the VM Warning.

Rick
    molṑn labe'
    "I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power. I am naturally very jealous for the rights and liberties of my country, and the least encroachment of those invaluable privileges is apt to make my blood boil."
--Ben Franklin

Question Eudora and Leopard conflicts

Anyone using Eudora a MacFixit member sez 6.2.4 conflicts.
    Eudora 6.2.4: Stalls and crashes after mail has been downloaded. Once you restart the program again it (usually) seems to work fine.

I don't use Eudora on the MBP (only on the DA), but just for you I tested 6.2.3 in Leopard. I have 6.2.3 as a subscription, i.e. non-ad version, so I'm not upgrading to 6.2.4.

Seems o.k. to me. A few glitches at first with eudora's not seeing new email on Gmail, but then it cured itself. Not sure what it was -- maybe something on Gmail's side.

But I sent and retrieved POP mail without issue -- no stalls or crashes with v6.2.3.

I have 6.2.3 as a subscription, i.e. non-ad version, so I'm not upgrading to 6.2.4.
    Same thing here. No Leopard however.
    Last edited by rwm; 11-02-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Default NetInfo Manager; activating root; and moving Users directory

These issues arose in another thread, but I put it here as well. In Leopard, NetInfo Manager no longer exists. A couple places where this has an impact:

1. Activating/Deactiving the root user. You can do this now in Leopard's new Directory Utility. Apple kbase 106290 about root has been updated to include Leopard specific information.

2. Paths to users' home directories, UIDs, etc. You do this now in Leopard's Accounts System Preference. After authenticating, right-click on a user in list on the left, and select "Advanced Options".

Rick added the following about moving the Users directory:
    I think the trick now, to moving users [in Leopard], is:
    1)copy User Directory to new drive.

2)Open Accounts and set new path.

3)reboot

4)after verifying the data is fine, erase the old location.
    Might be a bit simpler than NetInfoManager was. If only because the Accounts GUI is simpler.
    Ditto on the comment about the Accounts GUI being simpler, but I have yet to find where they stuck (if at all) the rest of the NetInfo Managers functionality.

I haven't looked for 10.5 yet, but in 10.4 Work Group Manager was a handy tool for Netinfo access, and many other goodies for both network and local account access and info. Apple never advertised it, but WGM can be very handy on 10.4 (non Server), and is a free download.
    "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining." -- Jef Raskin

Probably still easiest to add or change the root password from Terminal:

sudo passwd root

It'll ask for your Admin password and then the new root password.

R
    molṑn labe'
--Ben Franklin

1. Macintouch posted their Mac Os X 10.5 Leopard: Incompatible Software

2. Macworld/Maccentral has info about Quark & Leopard:
    The company said the newest version — QuarkXPress 7.3 — will run on Leopard with one caveat.

While Quark said version 7.3 is compatible with Leopard, the the Flash export in Quark Interactive Designer does not currently work with the new operating system. Quark said they “plan on releasing a QuarkXPress 7 update with fully tested Leopard support within the next few weeks.”

The update will be free for all registered QuarkXPress 7 users.

The company said QuarkXPress 6.5 is not compatible with Leopard.
    2. Yep Rick 'sudo passwd root' is a quick way to activate root. But to deactivate root when not needed (as unclemac suggested in the DNS hijack thread)...I don't know how to do that from the command line. Used to use NetInfo Manager, now I'll use Directory Utility.

3. Work Group Manager. Unclemac, never heard of that before since it looks like something bundled with Server. Looks like it may be it may be in this Server Admin Tools 10.5 download.

Yup, that's the ticket. Bundled with other server tools that won't run......just disregard them. It was handy (and hidden from the public in 10.4). Hope to do some testing and have a write up about 10.5 WGM.

Hola, Gurus and Gurettes. :-)

I had mentioned to Rick the reasons (as I grok 'em anyhow) that Apple dropped NetInfo in 10.5 and he asked that I offer a quick write-up here.

There have been proprietary schemes (YP/NIS, NIS+, NetInfo, etc.) and open-standards schemes (X.500, LDAP, etc.) aimed at solving user and resource identification in networks for years on end.

YP/NIS and NIS+ were created by Sun and licensed to many, many Unix OSes. NetInfo was created by NeXT, wended its way into Mac OS X, and was never licensed by anyone else so far as I know.

X.500, from the ITU and covered by ISO/IEC 9594, is overly complex and inflexible (I think -- I don't know this one well).

LDAP -- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol -- was developed originally at University of Michigan to track students as they switched dorm rooms and telephone numbers, changed majors (and which machines they should be able to log into), changed passwords, and so on.

LDAP standards were adopted by the IETF (Internet's protocol governing body) as RFC 4510 and is available virtually everywhere, including from open source and "you compile it yourself". Even Sun is now recommending that their customers use LDAP instead of their own NIS or NIS+.

Apple's move from NetInfo to LDAP fits with all the trends in networked Unix. This lets Mac OS X play nicely with most other Unixes in large installations, reduces OS-X-specialized knowledge needed by SysAdmins, and is very much in keeping with both the "open" nature of Darwin and that 10.5 is now a POSIX Unix.

In all the maze of Unix and Unix-ish operating systems, only Mac OS X used NetInfo to manage users and printers and hostnames and config files. It did a good job this past decade, but it sure is time for it to be replaced, and LDAP's the best replacement, for sure.

~~Jazzbo

PS. The wikipedia entries for NIS, NIS+, LDAP, X.500, and NetInfo may be interesting reading.

Default Ha! Jazzbo!!

Long time no type my brother. Hope all is well up your way. Thanks for popping in and filling in the blanks. I could have dug around and filled in the blanks with other folks info and history, but nothing like real experience to generate a short, clear and concise bit of info.

If I might ask, what is the switch from Netinfo to LDAP going to do for folks that want to connect Macs to an AD network? Better? Same? Worse?

Will be digging into that myself in the future, and wondering if I should expect fair weather or foul.

Good to see your still alive and kicking.

Jazzbo,

You moved. About 30 miles closer to the center of the universe. Glad you're back. k

Did a bit of updating of my original (in)compatbility post:
    1. Tinker Tool and TinkerTool System are now Leopard compatible. TinkerTool System is lesser known competitor to for instance Cocktail (v3.8.3 not Leopard compatible) and Onyx (beta v1.8.4b is compatible). These "swiss-army knife" utilities are getting there, which leaves the hole with the big disk utilities like DiskWarriar, TTP, etc.
    2. MacFuse and NTFS-3G have both been updated. Kinks are getting ironed on the NTFS-write front -- still seems rather fresh on that front. See Mac NTFS-3G. (At the moment you often need to work through the comments for the latest.)
    As I mentioned in that post, it's a lot of work to keep track of these things. The ball's really rolling now, lots of updates for Leopard compatibility. So macupdate and versiontracker are great resources to monitor.

I previously linked to Macintouch's Leopard Incompatible Software, which they're maintaining in a timely fashion. It seems to me rather well done because it focuses (as I tried to) on developers' statements and not a bunch of (often unconfirmed) reader reports (which Macintouch tracks separately). Worth monitoring. I'm going to leave it to them (and similar pages) to track the big application incompatibilities, while focusing here on the lesser known applications and issues, e.g. MacFuse/NTFS-3G.

...and for instance that Sonnet has a press release officially announced Leopard support/compatibility for (some?) of their products.

Can't find the pr on their site, but Highpoint also has Leopard compatibiity with some RocketRaids, see here. Or wait for the item to appear in the 'News' section of the Highpoint site.
    Last edited by eric; 11-11-2007 at 04:36 PM.