Thread: Beige cpu upgrade

Rolleyes Beige cpu upgrade

This may be simular to other machine upgrades, it seems many cpu upgrades require a rom firmware "adjustment". Be it a full rom version, or just a few lines specific for the cpu.

I have installed a Sonnet 1000 zif in this old Beige tower, it runs - and fast. However, there are moments that it seems to be taking a long time to process a simple task.

? is there a firmware available for this machine? or maybe it is just being pushed to the max, buss speed and so on.

If there is a firmware upgrade, where would I find it? I tried Apple support site, with no result.

thanks,

Take a look in here...
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19238
    I don't recall if the ROM changed the performance. You are defiantly pushing the 66MHz system bus and memory speed. TZ put a G3 1 GHz in his Beige if I recall. Look here too...
    http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showt...ight=Beige+ROM

How much RAM in that Beige? What's your disk setup? Video?

I love my Beige, but it's back to being a 9 only Mac now that I have the G4 tower. It ran OSX pretty good, but there's just no comparison. They can also be finicky at times. They have their little issues.

I ran a Miles2UW in it for a while with a couple 10K Cheetahs, but was experiencing occasional boot problems so I eventually went back to a Sonnet Trio. It's not quite as fast with that card, but it's a lot more reliable.

The stock ATA bus, and on-board video are just plain slow. The Radeon 9200 card I put in there made a big difference.

The reason some of the newer upgrades require a firmware patch is so the machine will recognize the CPU. Beige is kind of a strange animal in that dept. Not really legacy ROM, but not totally new-world ROM in RAM either. Like rwm said a 1G CPU can only do so much with a 66mhz bus, limited video, and slow disk I/O.

Have you got the firmware from Sonnet ???

Sonnet Encore Downloads

When I upgraded my G3 I also installed an 128 Rage Pro PCI for video, still have it somewhere here. That did make the thing run faster. Most likely there is a better video card. check this site, or someone here may suggest one.

I debated about upgrading my G3 or upgrading to a G4, which I ended up doing ( zoom zoom zoom ). The only other thing that you might do to speed your G3 up would be a SATA drive hooked up to a SATA PCI Card. I've got another one of those around too. If you have an interest.

Really it's mostly the age of the machine it's 12 years old. I got my G3 MT in 1998 brand new. First time I actually got a new one. 12 years before that I believe the Mac Plus came out that year. Talk about slow.

Tongue Beige G4 - to the limit

Thanks for the responses,

I started with the beige mt with graphics in mind, but this machine is NOT osx or movie fluent. -- oh well, hacking has been a hobby for a long time -- vic 20 ring a bell? --

This is now strictly os 9, 768 ram, modified two fans into the lift handle area, zip & cd burner ata, 20 gig scsi & 50 gig ultra, ati 7000 64 mac, and the sonnet g4/1000. The os9 software is also upgraded to its limit. It is a good graphics machine and does fine, except for the being pushed beyond design.

I tried the firmware from the site and the disk that came with it, but the response is that "no upgrade is needed". Guess I will have to live with the little bog downs.

--
    was given a g4 sawtooth, spent about $500 to push it, I hope I will be able to use the parts in later machines.
    Motivation: learn to produce a short film, if it works out then I can make a more qualified decision for a larger investment for something more serious.

1.5 ram, 1.6ghz power logic, nvidia geforce 6200 256, new keyboard and mouse, 2x sata external 360 (with pci card).

I would like to get a flat panel for this and also the beige, $200 or less, any suggestions?

Yeah I'd say your Beige has probably hit the wall. Looks like you've got just about all the best goodies you can stuff in there.

I'm very happy with my 20" widescreen ViewSonic I bought about a year ago for $300. You can get a comparable one now for about $50 less. They don't make this model any more, and it was only sold through Costco originally. My sis was even pretty impressed with it for the price, and she's done pro graphics work since Macs came in a bag.